Purchased my first boat- an Alumacraft FDR from the mid-late 1950's... Need Ideas

Bigkat650

Petty Officer 2nd Class
UPDATE: Scroll down to see the motor for the project: 1958 Johnson Seahorse 35 hp

Hello all!

I purchased my first boat this last weekend. Thought I would get some opinions from you folks about it, see if you guys can educate me a little. Also see if I can get some opinions on how the best way to restore it would be. First off, the boat is a late 1950's Alumacraft model FDR. From the minimal research I have done, I believe this boat was originally a runabout. However, the boat now is essentially striped down to nothing but the hull. Luckally the hull seems to be very solid, and for $220 with a trailer--it seemed like a steal.

I guess I have a few questions, first do you think that I got a decent deal? If you were to restore this--based on the photo's attached--would you go for a complete restore back to original or would you go for a tiller motor, and simplify the restore with floor board and raised casting deck? I plan on mostly fishing out of it--so I am leaning towards the simpler restore. Lastly, what size motor should I put on it? I don't need to speed, but I do want to be able to get on plane--20mph would be fine. I'm thinking about a 20-25hp? It is rated up to a 35hp motor.

Alumacraft FDR.jpg Alumacraft FDR2.jpg Alumacraft FDR3.jpg

Thanks for all the help everyone, and I will keep posting updated on the project!!:D:D:D

-Tim

Last edited:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: Purchased my first boat!! Alumacraft FDR from the mid-late 1950's

Hello Bigkat650,

I would like to welcome you to the best place on the net for boat information, the Iboats dry dock...Here you will get all of the help you could possibly handle from some of the most knowledgeable boat guys around...

I would also like to congratulate you on your new aquisition...

I know next to nothing about boats and even less about aluminum ones, but if the hull is as solid as you say and it was built in the late 50's, I am pretty sure you have a "Battleship" of a boat there. Plus you got the trailer to go with it, all for 220 bucks...yeah, I say you got a pretty nice deal.

Heck, you could probably throw a trolling motor, a battery, a cooler with your choice of frosty adult beverages, some fishing tackle, and a milk crate for a seat and start fishin like right now!

Anyhow, I will let the true tin masters chime in and get you where you want to be with that fine floating craft...

Regards,
GT1M

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You stole that. Very nice hull. In my opinion it is too narrow for any raised decks. I think it would be too tippy. However, you could certainly put a low deck in it if you'd like. Kinda looks like it may have been set up for one originally. I agree that a 20-25HP motor would be ideal.

kfa4303

Banned

Oh yeah, a nice '56-'58 Johnson 20-25 hp would look real nice on that old gem and be period correct. You'd be amazed at how many are still around and can be had for a reasonable price. Best of all, they're a breeze to work on and pretty much bullet proof once you get 'em up and running. You can get most basic maintenance parts right here at iboats. Check ebay and/or c-list and you'll find all kinds of neat old motors for decent prices. As far as the boat is concerned, check out fiberglassics.com. They have tons of info on old boats. The basic rules for restoring an aluminum boats are as follows: NEVER use pressure treated wood as it can have an electrolytic reaction with the aluminum in the hull and cause pitting. Instead, use non-PT plywood and coat it in epoxy, then paint, or coat it in polyester resin, then fiberglass. Either of these methods will ensure that the wood last longer than you or the boat. Most folks like the epoxy method. It costs a bit more, but it's also a little quicker and easier to use (no f'glass to deal with). Be sure you only use Stainless Steel hardware coated in 3M 5200 marine sealant for any fasteners you may need like bolting the transom though the hull. As far as paint, sand with 180 or 220 paper to remove any flaky bits, wipe down with 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water as mild degrease, let dry, then coat lightly with Zinc-chromate, aluminum primer, then apply one or two top coats. Lots of folks use Rust-o-leum, but there are lots of brands. Most folks avoid clear coats and/or metallic flake paints, however. There are tons of threads here in the forums and tons of folks who can help if you need it. Congrats on the new toy. Keep us posted......

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The basic rules for restoring an aluminum boats are as follows: NEVER use pressure treated wood as it can have an electrolytic reaction with the aluminum in the hull and cause pitting. Instead, use non-PT plywood and coat it in epoxy, then paint, or coat it in polyester resin, then fiberglass. Either of these methods will ensure that the wood last longer than you or the boat. Most folks like the epoxy method. It costs a bit more, but it's also a little quicker and easier to use (no f'glass to deal with). Be sure you only use Stainless Steel hardware coated in 3M 5200 marine sealant for any fasteners you may need like bolting the transom though the hull. As far as paint, sand with 180 or 220 paper to remove any flaky bits, wipe down with 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water as mild degrease, let dry, then coat lightly with Zinc-chromate, aluminum primer, then apply one or two top coats. Lots of folks use Rust-o-leum, but there are lots of brands. Most folks avoid clear coats and/or metallic flake paints, however. There are tons of threads here in the forums and tons of folks who can help if you need it. Congrats on the new toy. Keep us posted......

I love this. Pretty much covers all the bases! :)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Boy, I sure love the lines on that little boat, very cool!

Super deal!

Yah, a 25 hp tiller would make that boat move super well! I think you could go to a 35 (considering the splashwell structure you have there) but that would be unnecessary. You could go to like a 15 or even a 10 hp but I'd think a 25 would be a much better fit.

I'd definitely put a deck it that boat but not any raised casting deck sort of thing.

Looks like a great project:)

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like a great deal! ..........and welcome to iBoats and the old Alumacraft club.(I'm a newby, myself)

I bought an almost in perfect shape 1954 Alumacraft FD about two months ago with a 25 Johnson and a trailer for $600. and have been quite happy. (Haven't tried to start the Johnson yet and won't until following instructions found here, but looks in fair shape)

Old junked Alumacrafts come up on craigslist every now and then and they may be just what you need to get some air tank flotation seating.....if that is what yours had....mine does.

I will be keeping mine as stock as can be.

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

Nice boat!

Looking at the construction, I don't think that was a runabout- It doesn't appear that the deck has been modified. Looks a lot like an "FDL" to me-

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/File:Alumacraftb59013.jpg

Could have been an "FD" as well- If it says 35 HP somewhere on it, That's likely what it is, since the FD was rated for a bit more HP-

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/File:Alumacraftb59012.jpg

The Forward deck was optional equipment, in it's absence it would have a 'handle' like yours.

That will give you an idea of how it looked from the factory...

If it were mine, I'd do a 'correct' restore, which would make it a great little fishing/utility boat.

-Andrew

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Cool links Andrew. Interesting to see that a rowboat-style boat would still have been equipped with a splashwell. Unusual for sure.

andgott

Yeah- But pop a 35 HP on that girl, and I'll bet you'd be GLAD you've got that splashwell on there! I bet she'd FLY!

Bigkat650

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow thanks for all the replies everyone!

I am fairly certain that it is indeed the FDR model. It has throttle housing on the starboard side and has the 'pulley wheels' on both sides, which indicate it had a steering wheel. The floor 'ribs' run from the front to the back transom, as oppose to running width wise (which is how almost all the rest of the FD models are), and it only has hardware for 2 benches, one in the middle and one in the back--but none in the front. Lastly, and most telling--the transom brace has the raised letters "FDR" on them. You can see some of that in the pictures posted at the top, for the rest--see below!

2011-11-29_19-22-49_620.jpg 2011-11-29_19-24-11_944.jpg 2011-11-29_19-24-11_944_1.jpg

One picture shows the throttle housing, with the pulley in front. There are 4 pulley's total, one on each side in the back and one on each side just forward of center, and both the throttle housing and pulleys look original to the boat. It took me hours of research to figure all this stuff out, and once I found that "FDR" on the hidden transom brace, everything started to fall into place

I believe at some point in this boats life, it was completely stripped down to where it is now. Ohh if only this thing could talk, im sure it would have quite the story to tell!!

On the plus side--I plan on restoring some glory to her. I will start by completely cleaning her out, then use a wire cup brush and the trusty drill, I will clean off all the rivets/seams on the inside--them coat them with Gluvits... Thats the first step--then I can get creative customizing the floor and more. :)

To start, I have a 9.9hp I will use--but I am keeping my eye open on either trading the 9.9 or simply upgrading to a 20-30hp tiller

Last edited:

andgott

Yeah- I'd say that the stamped numbers are a giveaway!

I noticed that they don't have the FDR in the '59 catalog but its listed as an available model on the 'blue books' for that year... Probably went into production later in the year so it didn't make the '59 catalog. Just based on what you've got there, since there is no forward deck and it doesn't look 'molested' up there, I'd bet it used to have a partial deck like on this smaller model-

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/File:Alumacraftb59014.jpg

They could probably be ordered in a variety of configurations.

I'll bet that 9.9 will push her along pretty well- Use it, since you've got it!

-Andrew

Bigkat650

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah- I'd say that the stamped numbers are a giveaway!

I noticed that they don't have the FDR in the '59 catalog but its listed as an available model on the 'blue books' for that year... Probably went into production later in the year so it didn't make the '59 catalog. Just based on what you've got there, since there is no forward deck and it doesn't look 'molested' up there, I'd bet it used to have a partial deck like on this smaller model-

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/File:Alumacraftb59014.jpg

They could probably be ordered in a variety of configurations.

I'll bet that 9.9 will push her along pretty well- Use it, since you've got it!

-Andrew

I think the 9.9 will get it moving, but doubt it will get on plane. It will be good enough until I can upgrade for sure! I still have dozens of hours of work to do before that point anyways!!

The 'R' in your link is a 12ft, my boat is definitely a 14ft. I believe it to be simular to the boat in the link below:

http://conductorjonz.wordpress.com/2009/10/18/the-new-deal-an-alumacraft-fdr-restoration-part-one/

That boat has hull #130, mine is #142--which leads me to believe it is most likely a carbon copy of this boat, at some point years ago

I believe it did have the forward deck on it at one point. In the image above that I provided of the pulley, the rail has a rather large hole in it, and there is a matching one on the port size--which i believe is where the forward deck originally was. I enlarged that image below, and you can actually see the light piecing through the rail where the hole was. Its current nose configuration must have been a scrap-yard replacement after the original 'runabout' front deck was removed.

2011-11-29_19-22-49_620_1.jpg

Maybe I should just do a walk around and take a video and post it on here--any interest? I really would like to be 100% certain of the boat, and solve this mystery!

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Purchased my first boat- an Alumacraft FDR from the mid-late 1950's... Need Ideas

stole it the crusher would give you more for that boat then 250.
Ill sell you this 60,s jonsoun 20 hp that has a 35 hp carb on it for 250?

Attachments

• DSCN1682.jpg
    DSCN1682.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 0

Bigkat650

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Purchased my first boat- an Alumacraft FDR from the mid-late 1950's... Need Ideas

stole it the crusher would give you more for that boat then 250.
Ill sell you this 60,s jonsoun 20 hp that has a 35 hp carb on it for 250?

I'll have to hold off for now, as the wife will most certainly kill me if I buy anything else boat related for a while LOL. Its ok though, in upstate NY, I cant really use a boat until next May anyways, so hopefully I can get this fixed up by then. I do have a '71 Chrysler 9.9 that runs great, and a '86 Evinrude 4hp which runs but idols real rough... maybe I can trade 1 or both for a 20-25hp later down the road. :)

kfa4303

Banned

I like the funky black and avocado green paint job :) I have a '66 20 hp Johnson that I brought back to life and it's a great motor, very strong/fast for its weight. great motors should you ever decide to trade up. Of course you realize you've now jinxed your two "good" motors by saying how well they run :) AS for the the little 4 hp Evinrude, it may just need its carb cleaned, or the idle properly adjusted. Give this link a try and see if it helps.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167352

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a GREAT web site tinboats.net that will give you great ideas on restoring "tin" boats. All of the people on that web site are ultra knowledgeable about "tins", and how to make them better..ie casting decks ect. Nothing against this site wich is AWESOME but most on this site work with "glass" boats.

I was over there looking around and liked those boat trailer wheels that keep spinning when you stop.:)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'd use a brass or stainless wire brush and not a steel one on the aluminum.

Bigkat650

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My first project- 1959 Alumacraft FDR + 1958 Johnson Seahorse 35 hp

My first project- 1959 Alumacraft FDR + 1958 Johnson Seahorse 35 hp

Just wanted to update my project, I now have POOOWER!!

Picked this up Friday

1958 Johnson Sea Horse 35hp!!

157_resized.jpg159_resized.jpg163_resized.jpg177_resized.jpg

I love it!! Condition looks pretty good, paint/decals are great for the age IMO (is missing the front decal, but looks good other then that). It sounds like it will be a strong runner. Compression isn't fantastic, but is acceptable (100 in 1 cylinder and 95 in the other--maybe the seals will expand a little when it gets some continued TLC and usage). It has a new impeller and new lower gear lube. Like with any motor almost 55 years old that's not 100% restored, its going to need some TLC. The guy I got it off of really hooked me up. I traded 2 smaller outboards plus $150 (total of $350 invested between the motors & cash) for this beauty. PLUS he hooked me up with the pressurized gas tank, some gently used throttle controls, throttle cables, AND steering helm & wheel--All of which I needed for the project. The extra's alone would have cost me $150-$200 easy.

Should I be concerned about the lower compression? The boys in the Johnson/Evinrude section don't seem too overly concerned...

All I have left to acquire for the project is hardware, wood, sealant, paint, carpet, carpet adhesive, flotation foam, seats... seems like a lot, but most of which I can get at Lowes/Home Depot--and thanks to the holidays, I have several gift cards to both

Parts ACQUIRED!! Now, WE BUILD!!

Stay tuned!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: My first project- 1959 Alumacraft FDR + 1958 Johnson Seahorse 35 hp

Re: My first project- 1959 Alumacraft FDR + 1958 Johnson Seahorse 35 hp

Check out WWW.AOMCI.ORG. They will be able to tell you Everything in the world about your motor. Parts, manuals, tips and tricks. Those guys are the consumate experts for vintage motors like yours.