Pumping Enough?

I have a 1993 Mercury 2.5 EFI 200 horsepower engine and when you crank it up I dont get a very strong or steady stream of water coming out of the back of the engine. At idle, the stream of water almost seems to have bubbles in it (kind of spits it out), but at any higher RPM than 1000 it evens up and gets strong and steady. Out of the water with the muffs on it, it may take as long as 1 to 1 1/2 minutes for any water to come out of the tube at the back and it has steam coming from the water when it does start to flow, even when the temp outside is in the 80's. I changed the water pump in June of 2003 and it doesn't seem to have any heat problems. I don't have a water pressure gauge, but I think that its time to invest in one.<br /><br />The engine runs as smooth as silk through the whole RPM range from idle all the way through. It has been taken care of, and I just dont want to mess anything up if I can help it.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />BK

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Pumping Enough?

If you've had it that long and it's not behaving as you're used to, it's worth taking a fresh look at that water pump. A pair of new thermostats wouldn't be a bad idea either. If they're just scaled, vinegar...overnight.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

1 to 1 1/2 minutes for any water to come out of the tube
is too long. Willy has it right, take another look at he pump and T-Stats. Also, if you are using Muffs, make sure you have enough water pressure from the hose. Best way to check it is in the water or a barrel of water.

Thanks you two... I think that you are on the right track by what I have been told by my mechanic this weekend. Possible bad water pump, thermostats need to be changed. I still have the issue about the "steam" coming out of the pipe along with the water. How hot should it be say in the lake in 60 degree water. Should I be able to stick my hand through the stream of water without being burned? I haven't tested to see how hot it is with a thermometer, but you can't hold your hand in the stream for very long... maybe 10-12 seconds is all.<br /><br />Anyway, thanks again you two and if anyone else has anything to add just post away!<br />BK