pulser coil trigger

MAKO72

Seaman
I was wondering how common failure of a pulser coil on a 1988 excel 225 is.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: pulser coil trigger

its not, but it can occur.
drawback is some of the older stuff got superceeded and will require a new flywheel as well.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

As rodbolt said the failure rate is rare. I do have plenty of them used if you actually need one.

MAKO72

Seaman

Thanks for the reply. I just purchased this motor 88 225 excel. A mechanic had looked over it and had determined it was the pulser coil. I was not there to see what tests he did but he said the stator tested good but not the triggers. I have tried to read all the posts on this engine and it seemed like without all controls and key switch attached computer may not send spark. I am certain he performed test with out controls and key as the console is not in the boat. How much for a used pulser I am in Miami? Are there any simple tests I could perform to verify it is bad? Does the kill switch maybe disable the coil. Thanks for the help.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

pulser failures are rare.
key switch has absolutly nothing to do with stator or pulser coils.
as long as the ground is removed from the white kill circuit wire at the CDI the system can generate spark, thats what the A-B bypass is for.
when bypassed timing is fixed but spark occurs normally.

bobwinkel

Cadet

I have an 04 Yami T8 that generates spark for from 1 to 3 seconds and then goes dead. Could it have a coil trigger problem?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

bobwinkel. start a new post stating your issue