pulling lower unit off yamaha

dcpcccrc

Seaman
is this hard i can take anything apart putting it back together i was told to put it in gear first then pull it off and it should slide right back on is this correctthanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: pulling lower unit off yamaha

what yamaha are we discussing? the larger v4 and v6 engines leave in nutral and go for it<br /> good luck and keep posting

dcpcccrc

Seaman

yes rodbolt it is a 115 v4 so just leave it in nuetral and when i put it back on i should have ti spin the shaft and the shift shaft so unitl it lines up right is there a gasket kit i need i am only changing the impeller

gutshot grouper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You will probably only need a new impeller and possibly some of the miscellaneous parts which go on the shaft above the pump on the shaft, my 200 has a little stainless sleeve over he shaft on the top of the pump, which apparently seals the top of the pump. take the pump body with you to the parts house and have them look at it and make sure it is in good shape, when you put the lower unit back on, a strap such as a motorcycle strap can save you a lot of strain and pain as you raise it in position, be sure to verify that the shift shaft lines up and makes a connection with the socket on the upper portion of the shift shaft,, Good Luck

dcpcccrc

Seaman

well i just got done pulling the lower unit off and putting it back. it didnt appear that anyting was wrong with the impeller but im not a mechanic can this be a problem even tho everything looks good also on the shift shaft to put the lower unit back on i had to turn it a notch will this screw up my adjustment when i started after wards everything seemed ok went in and out of gear good but water was pouring out of the front of the lower unit directly in front of where the impeller is this cant hurt can it or is the water not supposed to be pouring out

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like you didn't reseat the water tube (there are 3 things to reconnect - drive shaft, shifter, and water tube).

dcpcccrc

Seaman

it has to be seated to be connected right and it is still peeing water but i will pull it off and make sure that its seated

tryan

Seaman

yup, put her back on the trailer. impellers can look GOOD and be shearded off the drive hub. if you are blasting with the water hose, water will come out everywhere and possibly blow a seal. crack open the faucet and don't go above 1200 rpm. a motor with a sheared impeller may still pee when you are hooked up to a set of muffs.<br /><br />sometimes the water tube will have more of a taper on one end.ie stick the staight connection together and let the taper do the self alignment when you re-install the drive. much easier. i use the strap method when going at it alone and use a long #1 philips to deal wth the speedo tube.<br /><br /><br />a.) make sure the water pump housing is not warped. the impeller needs to be offset in order to pump. when an impeller cooks, it tends to line the housing up straight with the shaft.<br /><br />b.)use 5 series loc-tite on all the treads ( water pump and drive housing ), so it won't be a nightmare next time.

dcpcccrc

Seaman

well the key on the impeller does seem to be intact but could it be spinning on and off that key at higher rpms when we pulled it off the impeller came right off with it is the impeller supposed to be tight against the shaft i mean the impeller came off the shaft with barely holding onto it. it just slid right off

tryan

Seaman

there is an internal hub ( brass or plastic) on the impeller between the keyed shaft and the rubber. this 'spun off the hub' failure is invisible to the naked eye and requires a physical inspection. kinda like a tire spinning on it's rim and the car not going anywhere.

dcpcccrc

Seaman

well my impeller doesnt have anything on it. just the rubber has a notch on it that sits on the key that is on the drive shaft im guessing this brass thing is missing so it is blown out at least i hope its blown out does this peice come with the impeller when you buy the impeller

tryan

Seaman

no, it is not missing. the rubber must be molded around the bushing on your brand. plain old rubber won't hold a key. it's in there. <br /><br />most later style water pumps have a small bleeder to allow air to escape and let water drain, so a slight amount of water while hooked to the muffs would be normal. all the holes i have seen are about the size of a pencil lead.<br /><br />leave the boat on the trailer and put it in the lake. check to see if you are getting flow without being hooked to the hose.

dcpcccrc

Seaman

man im telling ya that i pulled my lower unit took the top off the cover off and then took the impeller off there was nothing but the rubber impeller the key is on the shaft and the rubber is formed to sit on the key