Pulled the drive today, clunking noise on 4.3 OMC Now

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: Question about clunking noise on 4.3 OMC Now with some Pics

Re: Question about clunking noise on 4.3 OMC Now with some Pics

MD-80 said:
Do you know what that screw is for and is there supposed to be water behind it? I think there is supposed to a be a cobra sticker covering it.

That screw, originally beneath a Cobra emblem, was to seal the hole in the case that was used as an access point where a passageway for water inside the outdrive casting was drilled during machining.

MD-80

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Pulled the drive today, clunking noise on 4.3 OMC Now

I was very unpleasently surprised. Here is what I found, you can't see them but in the water are balls from what I think is the gimble bearing:

UploadableWater.jpg

Heare is whats left of it:

UploadableBearing.jpg
UploadableBalls.jpg

Here is what the u-joint assembly looks like.

UploadableShaft.jpg

This is our first season with this boat; we bought it in April with plans of a fun filled summer. I guess that is going to be post poned now. I know I have said this already but this is the first boat I have owned and this repair looks a little overwhelming. I could use a little confidence boost. I know everyone has already helped out but if I could get some more help on making a complete list of all the parts I will need I would greatly appreciate it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That, has been making noise for a Loooong time. That is not an overnight problem. Even in salt water.

tystick

Petty Officer 1st Class

pictures are worth a thousand words!
Wow -Hope you got a price that reflects the obviously gross negligence of PO. Not a recent issue as already posted.

MD-80

Seaman Apprentice

Like I said in my previous post, this is my first boat and the first year we have owned it. If it was making a noise it wasn't nearly as loud as when the bearing failed and I didn't know what to listen for. It looks like the previous owner did not maintain the boat to well and I realize this however I am still looking for help with the problem though and any advice anyone wants to offer.

lrlima

Petty Officer 1st Class

MD-80 sorry to hear about your boat. I also bought my first boat last year and the previous owner didnt do a great job maintaining it. I got it cheap, got one season out of it and am in the process of swapping out my motor. I had no previous experience with boats before...but this forum is great. You can search and read about your problems...the people here are very knowledgable and helpful. For your parts list, you'll need ujoints, gimbal bearing and bellows to start. Plus the gasket set for remounting your drive. Good luck

marunr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm afraid I would have to take that in and let a pro look it over. My fear would be that there has been water in the drive for some time, and that could really be expensive, and without the proper tools (which are no longer available) you probably can't do the work yourself. Don S mentioned earlier the minimum parts you're going to need, and most certainly you need the seal in the upper horizontal bearing carrier replaced...if not the bearings themselves.

I know it's "let the buyer beware", but it's too bad a person selling a boat in that condition can't be held accountable. Though the problems you've encountered can be present with any make or model I will never sell my OMC Cobra to an unsuspecting new boat owner without a complete understanding of the problems associated with owning a drive with no current support. My conscience won't let me!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

just looking at the pics its does not look all gloomy and doomy, the gimbal bearing and input shft assy is junk. you will need a professional to tear down and replace the input yoke and most likly the drive shaft as the tolerance on the area that rides the gimbal bearing ID is tight.
the fun part may be getting the bearing carrier out of the shield assy.
a 200 dollar inspection by a qualified tech at purchase would have most likly reported the problem on a pre-purchase exam.
the gimbal area is well within the average tech with a manual to fix, the upper is best left to a shop with trained techs and the correct tools. the gears in the pic look ok in the pic.
your looking at 5-6 hours to dissasemble,clean and inspect the upper and lower.
if that gimbal bearing carrier comes out another 45 min to replace the bearing and bellows.
what usually happens is the rusty input yoke takes out the yoke seal and allows the upper case oil to drain into the bellows leaving the upper with no lube.
maybe ya got lucky :):)

MD-80

Seaman Apprentice

I have attached a few diagrams of transom mount components and upper unit. I though this will make it easier for you guys to help me identify which parts you are talking about. I am not quite sure what everything is called yet so some of the parts you guys are mentioning don't click yet. I circled and pointed out a few things I know I definitely need. Rodbolt when you say the input shaft assembly is junk could name the numbers associated with that assembly so I know what you are talking about. Thanks again for everyone help.

Uploadablediagram.jpg

Uploadablediagram2.jpg

Don S

First Diagram
I think rodbolt was refereing to item #11 as the one being bad. What happens is the area where the seal rides gets all rusty and the seals won't hold the gear lube in any longer. When that happens you loose the drive, completely. The ujoints them selves (#9) can be replaced seperate of parts 10 and 8. But, if the bearing caps fit loosely in 8&10, then you would need the complete assembly.
The seal #12 is the one the rust damages. However, when you take it apart, any oring, or seal that is dissassembled MUST be replaced.

Second diagram
Yes #11 is the bellows and#1 is the gimbal bearing. You also need the gasket kit to reinstall the drive. It would include #8 and #9.

One item it doesn't show is a service manual. You REALLY need one if you plan on fixing the drive yourself. The OMC is best, just hard to find.

MD-80

Seaman Apprentice

I have purchased the Seloc and I'm keeping an I on Ebay for the originals. That sucks that #11 needs to be replaced that's one of the high dollar items. Oh well though I want to do this right.

Don S

That sucks that #11 needs to be replaced that's one of the high dollar items.

No one ever said boating was inexpensive. Only that it was fun.

You still need to check the other splined shaft (# 8 ) to be sure you can get the bearing race off it. And check the splines. If they are worn down (You can tell by comparing the splines on the part of the shaft that doesn't go into the coupler with the splines that do) then you are probably due for that new end also. But then you have to look at the coupler too.

MD-80

Seaman Apprentice

I trying to take off the pivot housing today and this shift cable is baffling me. I have the seloc manual and the link that everyone posts on here about the clutch dog. I just can't figure out how I am supposed to disconnect the cable so I can remove the pivot housing.

marunr

Petty Officer 1st Class

What I had to do is loosen the cable on the back of the pivot housing then rotate the pivot housing itself off of the cable. I couldn't unscrew the cable that far because the cable housing will not rotate inside the boot.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

marunr said:
What I had to do is loosen the cable on the back of the pivot housing then rotate the pivot housing itself off of the cable. I couldn't unscrew the cable that far because the cable housing will not rotate inside the boot.

That was something that puzzled me as well, so if anyone has a good alternative, I'd love to hear it....

Keep your eye out for the OMC Cobra Stern Drives Parts Catalog (basically, detailed diagrams of the parts for your drive and engine like the ones you showed above, but with original OMC part numbers and part descriptions) in addition to the OMC Cobra Service Manual. You'll find the Parts catalog REALLY helpful, and fortunataely it's alot cheaper than the Service Manual.

MD-80

Seaman Apprentice

Got a lot of the parts on order and I am pretty much done with disassembly. Got a couple more questions though. There is some rust on the coupler that holds the u-joints part 10 in diagram 1 above. What would be the best thing to do with this decides replacing as far as getting rid of the rust. Also what kind of grease a lubricants should I use to coat the parts on the inside of the u-joint bellows? Is there any kind of gasket sealant that I should use on the main gasket for the out drive when I mount it back up. Also is there a bellows sealant that I might need to use. I was going to try to pull the outer race a seal out myself but I think I am going to leave that to a marina. I found one that will remove a install the new that I order along with the seal as well as make sure the motor is aligned. If anyone’s got the answer to any of my questions please reply. I managed so far to get one of the pieces of the inner race off of the shaft but the other piece is still stuck on it though.

MD-80

Seaman Apprentice

Bump

MD-80

Seaman Apprentice

Does anyone know where I can get the water hose that comes out the back of the transom. I figured I should go ahead and replace it while I am in here. I can't seem to find it.

lilmandavis

Chief Petty Officer

what color is the shift cable?