Pull-Starter Mechanism - Not moving...

PurpleDragon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all,<br /><br />I've got a REAL old Sears 12Hp (mid 1960's model) pull-start motor.<br /><br />On my last 2 outings, I've developed a problem with the pull-start mechanism - in which it is no longer sliding freely up & down to engage, and disengage the teeth of the crankcase.<br /><br />I've tried lubing it with a silicone lube (SiliKroil) - But that's not working. Any ideas?<br /><br />I wonder if this 109+ degree temperature has warped the plastic slider enough and made it "stick" to the aluminum shaft... :( <br /><br />Any ideas? Here's a link to my page on the web with pics of it... http://www.tntbuildings.com/boat/ <br /><br />And here's a link to the pic...<br />
starter_riser_thingy.jpg
<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Rex

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pull-Starter Mechanism - Not moving...

You should post your model number probably on the<br />mounting bracket.<br /> Im guessing the motor is a McCulloch if the<br />number begins 574 it is McCulloch.<br /> Difficult to be too specific but it probably <br />needs disassembly cleaning and lubrication.<br /> Be sure to use a lube that wont effect the plastic.If the drive is jammed or badly<br />gummed up the silicone wont help much.<br /> Once you clean and inspect it youll be able to tell what the problem is if it is not just gummed up.

PurpleDragon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lessee here... it's a 571-59271 (West Bend ? Appx. 1965 timeframe)<br /><br />Serial #: 59271-C1513<br /><br />I'll disassemble it later this evening and see if it's anything obvious.<br /><br />Rex S.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Right, West Bend.<br /> I cant find that number but my records indicate <br />Sears didnt use the West Bend 12 after 59.<br /> West bend was sold to Chrysler in 64. <br />I believe Chrysler built Sears motors use VWB model prefix.<br /> There is a slim chance late West Bend/Chryslers may share some parts.