pull start kick back

blksmith1

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 25 hp Evinrude pull start model E25RLESB. 1990.
When I pull start the motor It kicks back almost pulling the rope out of my hand. Once running it idles fine, goes to wot fine, and runs at wot fine. What would cause the kickback?
New wp, fp, both coils, and a power pack.
Take care and Thanks
TJ

orbanp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: pull start kick back

Hi TJ,

Usually the engine kicks back at starting when the ignition advance is too much for the starting speed.
The ignition is advanced as you give throttle. You do not start the engine with WOT, right?
Couple of things that you can check:
Is the ignition timing set correctly?
Does the ignition base plate (stator plate) rotate freely with throttle advance?
Does it go back when the throttle is reduced to idle?
If the ignition is right, it should not do it.

Some more addition.
Just looked up the ignition system of your motor on marineengine.com.
Another possibility could be, assuming the ignition base plate mechanicals are right, that the ignition is cross firing, i.e. it gives a spark to the other cylinder as well.
At idle the ignition timing is quite past TDC, and that is quite a lot of before TDC for the other cylinder. That could cause the kickback.
Do check if you have just one spark, and not on both cylinders. If you get spark at the wrong time as well, I would look at why the power pack is doing that.

Good luck, Peter

halfmoa

Ensign

Usually the engine kicks back at starting when the ignition advance is too much for the starting speed.

100% agreed! It can really, really injure your hand and/or arm as well.

nwcove

Admiral

is this a new issue with a motor that you have owned for awhile, or an issue with a motor you recently purchased?

blksmith1

Seaman Apprentice

I have had this mtr 18 years. It just needed some tlc.
When I got it back from having a new power pack put in I noticed some black plastic shavings in the lower case.
The mechanic had sawn off the neutral stop peg. You can now start it wide open. I thought what the hell, they were times i wished it ran faster at start up anyway. Do you think my starting at a higher throttle setting is giving me the kickback??
Your thoughts
TJ

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Yes. Your timing is to far advanced. And find a different mechanic.