Protecting lower end while shallow/beached

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Protecting lower end while shallow/beached

OP - Are you sure you are trimming all the way up? in trailer mode? on some boats you have the push the trim switch an extra click in to get it to go all the way up.... I'm really surprised you skeg is still below the bottom of the hull.

Yup the drive is trimmed all the way to beach/trailer position. At that point the prop blades are just below the surface.

It's actually the bullet that is the lowest point while fully trimmed up and While bullet isn't that far below the hull line at that point, when the boat rocks with the waves the drive is the farthest point back and would touch the sand.

Cheers.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

When we go to the lake camping and I take the boat, I see alot of people beach the bow, leaving the stern in the water and tie the bow off to a tree or drop their anchor. Not me...

When I pull in to the shore at our campsite, I offload my passengers, then turn my boat around, drop the anchor about 35' out tied to the bow, then ac toward the shore. I lift the outbboard and shut it off. Tie a line to the stern and entend it to a tree on the bank. This way I am Bow out to take waves and choppy waters better and I have the stern tied to prevent sideways drifting. This usually leaves my stern in about 2-2 1/2 feet of water.

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

When we go to the lake camping and I take the boat, I see alot of people beach the bow, leaving the stern in the water and tie the bow off to a tree or drop their anchor. Not me...

When I pull in to the shore at our campsite, I offload my passengers, then turn my boat around, drop the anchor about 35' out tied to the bow, then ac toward the shore. I lift the outbboard and shut it off. Tie a line to the stern and entend it to a tree on the bank. This way I am Bow out to take waves and choppy waters better and I have the stern tied to prevent sideways drifting. This usually leaves my stern in about 2-2 1/2 feet of water.

Outboard certainly resolves most of the problem as you describe but I'm I/O so she only comes up so far.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Yeah, I feel your pain. I did think that the outdrives had a greater tilt range than you described, but I guess I was spoiled by my outboard.

nlain

Commander

I learned on my first boat to point the bow to the waves/wakes, not the stern. Went to the sound in Feb, new to boating, tide going out, put bow on the beach, stern on ground when water left it. Tide started back in and the wind got up, water pounding the flat stern splashing into the boat, could not push back, get in, start engine, put in gear before I was beached again, finally left engine running at idle in reverse to hold boat while I got in and lowered the drive to back out and leave, I have never beached the bow since and never will again. I still go to the same place, drop anchor about 75 feet out, back in to the beach, shut engine off when depth finder shows 3 feet water, take stern anchor to the beach and set it, from there I have to adjust the anchors due to the rise and fall of the tide.

If I were you I would anchor further out, point the bow out, stern to beach, you will find the boat rides the water better that way and when you get ready to leave you pull in the bow anchor which pulls the boat out to even deeper water which lessens the chance of hitting bottom.

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

If I were you I would anchor further out, point the bow out, stern to beach, you will find the boat rides the water better that way and when you get ready to leave you pull in the bow anchor which pulls the boat out to even deeper water which lessens the chance of hitting bottom.

I agree with nlain. So, I don't actually beach. I just anchor close in.

It sounds like you care about your boat.

204Angler

Seaman

Get a Skeggaurd..cheap and easy to install. Look at the link provided on page one of this thread. Your paint will wear just from hitting particles of "crap" in the water but I totally understand your OCD-ness concerning your boat. I am the same way. Get a keelgaurd while you are at it

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get a Skeggaurd..cheap and easy to install. Look at the link provided on page one of this thread.

Definately thinking about one but of course I don't like the idea of the drilling required to fasten the skeg guard which seems to be required.

Your paint will wear just from hitting particles of "crap" in the water but I totally understand your OCD-ness concerning your boat.

The junk in the water appears to be exactly what happened to the skeg :eek:(the bullet damage was from the sand).

I actually never thought it could do that but doesnt' mean I have to like it.:rolleyes: I have a Merc 9.9 that I've used for 4 years and about 40-50 hours and the lower end is virtually perfect. Of course it doesn't go 55 mph so that would reduce the damage caused by floating junk.

I will probably get a keel guard just in case but will certainly be anchoring farther out. I hate the thought of more damage.

I've actually thought about getting the drive repainted already but as most have pointed out I'll be scratched again anyways (yes OCD fits well for me).

The only good thing is I can't see the leg most of the time.

Cheers.

204Angler

Seaman

Yeah, I understand your concern about drilling holes but it is a permanent fix and the keg gaurd will not loose it's color...they actually look good if installed correctly. Just take your time with it. I have known people to put some clear coat on leading edge of their L/U. It still gets worn down but the color stays. Only problem is in salt water, it doesn't last and looks like crap after a couple months.

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, I understand your concern about drilling holes but it is a permanent fix and the keg gaurd will not loose it's color...they actually look good if installed correctly. Just take your time with it. I have known people to put some clear coat on leading edge of their L/U. It still gets worn down but the color stays. Only problem is in salt water, it doesn't last and looks like crap after a couple months.

Is there not an increase opportunity for galvanic corrosion if you drill the skeg and then put a dissimilar metal on? That is my primary concern as you'd have drill holes with no paint protection.

I'm in fresh water and my anodes are correct and all but the last thing I want to do is save the skeg with protection and wreck the lower end another way.

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

The SkegGuard is stainless sheetmetal welded into the shape of your skeg, salt corrosion or galvanic corrosion is not an issue.

As for digging it into the sand I do it all the time...and no...sand does not get into the water intake, those are above the bullet and a long way off the bottom. When sand is wet the skeg slides in with little resistance so there is no issue with hurting the transom or stressing the mount.

BTW I usually plant my anchor out from the beach and point the boat into the surf, this keeps the boat from going ashore any farther and the anchor keeps her pointed straight into the surf and takes the brunt of the load. Make sure you put a bouy on the anchor so no one steps on it.

I understand why people are worried about the condition of their motor etc. but this is done all the time and it doesn't hurt anything, no one is saying dig the skeg into the sand so far into the sand you bury the lower end...just enough to keep the boat from drifting around. As for paint wearing off...it won't last more than two seasons anyway if you drive it only in the water.

I guess I have more fun using my boat than polishing it.:cool:

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The SkegGuard is stainless sheetmetal welded into the shape of your skeg, salt corrosion or galvanic corrosion is not an issue.

As for digging it into the sand I do it all the time...and no...sand does not get into the water intake, those are above the bullet and a long way off the bottom. When sand is wet the skeg slides in with little resistance so there is no issue with hurting the transom or stressing the mount.

BTW I usually plant my anchor out from the beach and point the boat into the surf, this keeps the boat from going ashore any farther and the anchor keeps her pointed straight into the surf and takes the brunt of the load. Make sure you put a bouy on the anchor so no one steps on it.

I understand why people are worried about the condition of their motor etc. but this is done all the time and it doesn't hurt anything, no one is saying dig the skeg into the sand so far into the sand you bury the lower end...just enough to keep the boat from drifting around. As for paint wearing off...it won't last more than two seasons anyway if you drive it only in the water.

I guess I have more fun using my boat than polishing it.:cool:

Here's my issue with using the outdrive as an anchor...I'm sitting on the beach enjoying myself,when some idiot comes by at 1/3 throttle..bow riding high..3' wake..theres no way i can get back into the boat to raise the outdrive fast enough to stop 3800# of boat crashing down on the outdrive which is connected to the motor..thru the transom..There tough..but not built for that type of abuse,As stated above ..the connector pieces attaching the outdrive to the gimble, are in alot of cases, just strong enough to handle the torque times 2..not anchoring the boat..Good luck with that.And for new boaters...Dont use your outdrive to position your boat,insurance wont cover it and the repair is upwards of 2K.