Prospective boat advice

birddog007

Recruit
I am looking at buying a 97 Ranger 482vs 19' with a 150 merc efi. dual axle trailer, dual console, color Garmin GPS, new TM batteries. Asking price is 10,900. It is in very good condition. Main worry I have is the outboard. Was wondering how common it is for people to ask a marine shop to check out an outboard before buying from an individual and what it would be a good idea to ask them to check. My main worry is buying one with a powerhead that is a hair from going bye bye. I know compression readings, but anything else that is a common cause of powerhead failure. Also, how does that price sound? Thanks all!!

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Prospective boat advice

There is nothing wrong about paying someone to survey the boat before you buy it. A complete survey will probably cost less than $300. Compare that with a $10,000 mistake if the boat happens to be a lemon. If the current owner won't agree to a survey, walk away.

It's like a home inspection before a real estate transaction. Many times it pays for itself by finding something that you can negotiate.

As for electronics, the boat is 12 years old. The total value of the fish finder, depth sounder, VHF radio, stereo, and GPS is now $0. (How much would you pay for a 12 year old TV?)

The price is always negotiable.