proper trim for 120 force

daveywonder

Seaman Apprentice
After getting motor ready for water, [only with the help from this forum], the tilt and trim works, but the previous owner has the trim set at the futherest-out hole position with a good size bolt on each side. My previous manual trims for other boats has always been set ,[ 2nd from the inner-most setting ].... For the first time out, where should I have the trim set at when the tilt is all the way down??? 17 ft. Newman tri-hull 120 force Appreciate any advice..tks,,,DAVEYWONDER :confused:

Last edited:

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Power / Trim "position" is unique on each boat / motor combo and is influenced on loaded boat's weight balance as well. Recommend loading up as if normal trip, drive around the lake, then try a different tilt / trim setting. Do this a few times to find the sweet spot of your unique combo (and weight loading).

For my combo, I "power" trim high and drive slow (very slow) in shallow water. Thus, keeping the prop further away from bottom mud / rocks. When I load my bow with lots of weight, I set a deep trim. Thus, getting on plane much faster. As a general rule, I don't use my boat's tilt/trim gauge. When going forward, I watch the small wake being created at the front of my boat. If large wake and engine feels like its stressing, I change its power tilt/trim position - until I find its tilt / trim `sweet spot`. re: Less parting waves and engine sounds best (without unnecessary stress).

For good video, surf: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxI4Nd5inaw

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Those holes are typically used for a trailering bar when transporting the boat. The bar is removed once you get to the water and the hydraulic Tilt/Trim is used to adjust the motor. Maybe the previous owner has lost to trailering bar and was using the bolts instead? Regardless, if you remove the bolts, the motor will tilt down a lot more and you will have a greater range of movement in the Tilt/Trim.

Jiggz

Captain
With Power T&T, there should be no bolts or bar on those holes when in the water. As PNW mentioned, the holes are for trailering to keep the motor from bouncing up and down which could damage the power T&T.

daveywonder

Seaman Apprentice
Tks. alot fellows.....I suppose those bolts were there to protect the engine from falling too far down..so I will remove them and go from there...great place for us dum-asses that think we know it all, [got wife thinking I might....lol...YEAH RIGHT...]...anyway..tks.guys..did'nt know why the bolts were there....Daveywonder..wondering no more....

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Don't be surprised if the trim does not hold position after the bolts are removed! Power trim cylinder will move the engine out to that position so the bolts are there for a reason, most likely a leaking power trim/tilt.