Proper docking procedure and gear

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
For dock lines, get something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...rch_detailpage

I used to do what Bondo did and get a shorter bow line so it doesn't get in the prop but I can count on one finger how many times I have tangled a line and it was the stern. I just make sure I always take off my bow line when I leave the dock. Nice to have longer lines.

I prefer 1/2" line to 3/8" but that is just me. Sometimes, 1/2" is harder to loop on a cleat though
Buy a line with a loop so you can do this on the cleat on the boat side:
Cleat.JPG

Last edited:

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
All great advice. I would add that wind can cause a disaster in a hurry. At lake Powell with a 30-40 mph side wind and big waves we docked our pontoon downwind from the dock and with two lines guided it right on the trailer. At another dock, a new to boating family with a brand new boat were trying load with the wind pounding the boat into the dock. The wife and kids were trying to hold onto the dock when the husband went to get the trailer. I had a hard time to convince him to come over to the other side of the dock. Which he did and loaded it okay, but the boat really took a beating. Try never to be in a hurry, and have your fenders and lines ready. Kids and the wives can be life savers, train them. Dave-R

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
When possible, I like to put the dock line around the dock piling/post and bring it back to the cleat on the boat to tie it off. That way I can untie the boat from inside the boat.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Bumpers? Newbie? I think not. I've used bumpers on my boats, my Dad used them on his. Never called the fenders. Must be a regional thing, like soda vs. pop.

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Great advice from everyone, really useful for us newbies. We had some on water training when we picked up our boat last week and the basic guide the captain gave us was go slow and be safe it doesn't need to be pretty. Practicing will help for sure, and if you have someone else on board talk to them so they know what the plan is, this seems to have help my wife and I so far, we discuss the plan as we get closer to the dock so everyone knows what's going on, even the kids know to stay on the opposite side of the boat.

Our marina offers on water instruction, maybe that's something to consider to get advice and guidance from a pro. I really want my wife to take advantage of that since she is brand new to boating and really nervous about it.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, 3/8 line is probably just right. 1/4 too light, and 1/2 can be too big for some cleats. PRACTICE. And a big x2 on the boat hook. One of the top 5 tools you can have on a boat.

I'll bring up something else as safety is always number 1. I see so many guys bringing boats in to slips with their wives and kids sticking out legs and hands to stop the boat. This is a recipe for broken bones. Even in tough weather you should be able to get close enough to the dock to grab a cleat with a boat hook. And there is no reason to come in hot enough that you need people's bodies to "fend" you off. Learn how to use a "spring line". Google for you tube videos on that.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well apparently, I offended some of you folks yesterday, when I was making fun of another posters comment about calling them bumpers or fenders, when I posted the head slap icon, it was done in fun, such as if we were in a conversation about something and statement gets made and somebody says "Oh Brother" that was all it was.

As I told the person who PM'd me, it was not meant in an offensive manner and I was just having fun, but if I offended you, I apologize.

Just to add, around here where I live, we call them "Bumpers" I have traveled all over the world and have heard both terms used just about everywhere I have been.

:faint2:

QC

Supreme Mariner
They are also often called buoys where I am, and that is ridiculous. Fenders for me!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
we could call them "inflatable-dock-rash-prevention-devices" then we may need to go one step further and describe dock rash and define the level of inflation....

"low-pressure-inflatable-anti-mash-your-boat-into-dock-or-other-things-and-muff-up-finish-devices"

:D

FWIW, I have encountered both depending geographical vernacular.