Proper Anchoring

Johnnielund

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It has always been my understanding that the bow of a boat will point into the wind. At what point should the anchor rhode be first secured to the boat? Should it be the bow eye or the forward cleat? <br />I have a 16' (75" beam) Lund Explorer. What is the proper anchor for this boat?

travism

Seaman
Re: Proper Anchoring

I don't think it really matters where the rode is tied to the boat as long as it's in the bow area. I usually use a forward cleat. I've personally never tied the rode to the bow eye, but I don't see anything wrong with it if it's convenient for you.

AaronG

Petty Officer 1st Class

Use the cleat, the bow eye will be harder to undo when you want to leave.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

You are half correct- the boat will point into the wind unless the current is stronger. Either way, you definitely want to anchor off the bow. It doesn't matter if you tie to a cleat or the bow eye but it has been my experience that reaching the bow eye on some boats can be tough. I would not recommend tying to something that isn't easily accessible in case you have to quckly untie. I like being able to use the bow eye to anchor from as I fish mainly in a river with current. It keeps the boat straight into the current since the bow eye dead center. However, the eye is too far down on the hull to reach without hanging off the front of the boat- not a good idea if you don't want to fall into the moving water. I rigged up a harness that hooks to the bow eye and then clips to the anchor rope that allows me to tie the rope to the top cleat but the pressure goes to the bow eye. (It's hard to explain.) <br /><br /> UFM82

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have also seen a shackle on the bow eye, through which the anchor line is fed. <br /><br />If trailered, this allows it to be easily removed for launch or recovery, then fed through the shackle before getting underway, and it can still be routed round a cleat for tying off to the correct length when anchoring.