Propeller Compatibility

mtsumedi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I understand that there is a sticky in about prop determination for your outboard/boat type/usage/pay load but my questions is a bit different.

What is the compatibility between props for different years/horse power ratings on Johnson Evinrude motors.

I have a 1992 60hp Evinrude on a 14' fiberglass (650lb) bass boat.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Propeller Compatibility

Not just a sticky, mtsumedi, we have a forum devoted to prop topics and an article in the Engine FAQs.

I think you will get the best answers in the Prop Forum, so I will move this there.

Good luck. :)

Bondo

Staff member

What is the compatibility between props for different years/horse power ratings on Johnson Evinrude motors.

Ayuh,.....
That question needs Alot of Definition,.....

Obviously,... A prop from a 1957, 5hp isn't going to Fit on your 1992, 60hp.....
And, By the same token,....
A prop from a 1999, 125hp, Might bolt on, but the Pitch,+ probably the blade style would be All Wrong......

Soooo,......
What, Exactly is your Question,..??....

mtsumedi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, the obvious doesn't necessarily need to be stated (5hp prop on a 60hp).

I guess I'm just curious to know the differences as far as prop shaft diameter and number of splines and such. I need something cheap right now to get me on the water since the current prop is in bad shape and I will eventually get something a little better and nicer after I can figure out exactly what I need.

For instance, there are some 40hp props for short money on Ebay. Would that fit?

mtsumedi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not just a sticky, mtsumedi, we have a forum devoted to prop topics and an article in the Engine FAQs.

I think you will get the best answers in the Prop Forum, so I will move this there.

Good luck. :)

Whoops, didn't look well enough.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Gearcase size dictates what prop works and what doesn't. Just because it bolts on does not mean it will work. Three cylinder and V4's typically run the same range of props and are in the 13-1/4 inch range. Two cylinder engines which the 40/50HP are, will take a prop with a smaller hub and props are limited to 11-1/4 to 12-1/4 diameter. Putting a small hub prop on a intermediate gear case results in much ventilation because of the exhaust sneaking around the prop rather than through it that the prop would likely be worthless. buy the right prop and be done with it. There are a multitude of prop manufactures and you can also pick props right here on iBoats. Michigan, Solas, Volvo/Penta, Turning Point, Hustler are just a few. They have application charts and part numbers so you can figure out what you need and make an intelligent purchase on e-bay or wherever you happen to find a prop. Any of your local boat dealers probably have a stack of used props they would sell you for a reasonable price.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You may be able to get your prop repaired at a prop shop for not much more than a prop on ebay.And it would be as new.