Prop shaft wobble--

boatman192

Cadet
Got a 80 hp yamaha 4 stroke and the prop shaft has a wobble--not enough for the back of the prop to hit the case--but can really see the prop wobble--so i guess the shaft has been bent..Is this something i should fix or let it be?? If needs to be fixed--any where i could get the shaft other than a yamaha dealer??? thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop shaft wobble--

Yes it should be fixed. Why? Because it can cause additional damage such as taking out the prop shaft seal and or bearings. If the seal goes water gets into the gear oil and the loss of lubrication takes out a bunch of very expensive parts. The prop shaft will likely have to come from Yamaha or used from E-bay. Before you do this however, verify the shaft and not the prop is the problem. Use pointed object like a phillips screwdriver, awl, lead pencil as a pointer and fasten it to something so the tip points directly at the center of the prop shaft. Now spin the prop by hand. If the prop shaft wobbles around the pointer it is indeed bent. If not, the prop is the issue.

boatman192

Cadet
Re: Prop shaft wobble--

Yes i took off the prop and used a awl with the motor running and its out of round about a 1/8 in..Is this a major task to replace--the prop shaft??? i have done mers and omc...