Prop problem or Engine

Ganis

Cadet
I just bought a new boat (new to me anyway), and am trying to get it running properly. It's a 1980 Ebbtide Dana Trak 176 S/S with a Johnson 150 SeaHorse. The prop that was on the boat when I bought it was really chewed up so i went to a local prop shop and they suggested a 13 1/4 x 25 SS 4 blade.. I tried that and was only able to get 3500 RPM @ 40 MPH (GPS). Went back and they told me to try a 14 1/4 x 19 SS 3 blade. Now i can get 4200 RPM at 40 MPH. The motor seems to have plenty of power, just not the RPM's, could it be something on the motor itself keeping me from getting the RPM's or do i need to go with a lower pitch prop?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop problem or Engine

A 13 1/4" prop isn't the right prop for that motor anyway. But the 150 should be able to spin a 14 1/4 x 19 on that boat easily. I'd start with the basics and make sure the motor is running right first.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

What he said;could be as simple as a plug wire off or throttle not opening all the way.Only gaining 700 rpm with a 6" pitch change and one less blade'
something is up.

Ganis

Cadet

Think i've found the problem.. took the cover off today and ran it up, looks like my timer base is sticking.. :eek: going to pull it off and clean/regrease it and see if that helps, thx for the info and i will let you know it it fixes the problem :)

Ganis

Cadet

Thanks for the help, that was the problem. I'm now getting 55mph @ 5400rpm:)