Prop Play

fisherman1818

Recruit
Hello I purchased a 2016 Mercury 60 HP EFI 4-stroke. So far I have only used it about 20 hours. My question is: Is it normal for the 3 blade stock prop to have about 3/8" of play forward and back on the shaft? So far I really like the motor, but, I have never had so much play on a prop on past boats. Thanks

Fun Times

Staff member
Hi, welcome to iboats!:)

Being a 2016 engine and depending on the prop hub design you have, there is now some fore and aft play in the new design....This video from Mercury should help guide you through the process of double checking the last installation job done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4nTiGOcIvs

fisherman1818

Recruit
Thanks I learned something today. Mine had about 3/8" of play. The dealer did not torque the nut, I will check that now.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
After you get the nut torqued to the shaft, I assume new engines still have an overrun clutch in F gear which allows the engine to drop in rpm while the prop is still turning at whatever speed the water running past it causes as you decelerate. To check this, with the engine off, and the shifter in F gear, turn the prop cw (looking from the rear) and watch it and the propshaft move out (from the lower unit housing) slightly then jump back (under spring pressure). This is indicative of the overrun clutch riding over the "sawtooth" gear arrangement. This should not be confused with independent movement of the prop to the shaft. Here the prop and shaft are locked together and both move in unison. The clutch affects the prop shaft internally so if you have the prop locked to the shaft, both will move in unison. Distance here is more like 1.4". If you turn/attempt to turn the prop ccw, it will offer significant resistance and the crankshaft will have to turn brfore the prop will turn.

If still in doubt, go to a Mercury dealer and do the test on a new engine in the show room. Won't take but a minute.