prop pitch/motor issue?

sttopr1

Cadet
I have an 1986 Jason 18' fish and ski boat. My dad bought the boat new in 1987. It has a 1986 Suzuki DT115 on it. The motor came with a 19 aluminum prop. My dad purchased a 24 stainless turbo prop. I remember while running it when we got it. The 19 you could run about 3/4 throttle and you would be at about 5,000 RPM. The 24 turbo you could go full throttle and be at about 4,800-5,000 RPM. The 19 got out of the hole great for skiing, the 24 was slow out but had more top end speed for cruising big lakes. In 1993 my parents bought a restaurant and the boat sat for 12 years without running. i have since bought the boat. The 24 is kind of useless as it will bareley get on plane with just me in the boat. I have had the carbs rebuilt and replaced the plugs but it just doesnt have the power it used to. The motor is clean as it could be, it has had low hours and been garage kept. I realize the worst thing to have happen was for it to sit so long. Other than rebuilding the carbs what else should i look at replacing/rebuilding? Thanks for any input!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: prop pitch/motor issue?

As always I like to check compression to make sure all cylinders are sealing properly.
sitting that long may have caused a problem with rust on internal shiny parts (cylinder walls , rings, crank journals, and bearings)

Check fuel pumps for pressure in spec. and would be good to check vacuum on supply side to make sure no restriction.

Timing and spark at all RPMs can be monitored with a inductive timing light