Prop Noob Question.

Puncheon50

Seaman Apprentice
After all I have been through getting this 70hp Johnson going strong, I am embarrassed to ask this question but I am anyway. I bought a new Turning Point prop for it and got the kit. So the old prop had the nylon nut with spline fitting. The new nut is pretty much a punched flat washer, no spline slots. I am leary of using the steel. Should I just reuse the nylon? Also, as far as torquing the castle nut. I saw on here 12ft Lbs for nylon nut and 70ft lbs for steel. Is that correct?

Puncheon50

Seaman Apprentice
Also need some help with the hub kit. It came with hub kit 503 which is the correct part number for my 70 hp large gearcase Johnson. The prop is off by 1/4" meaning it doesn't slide all the way back into the hub casing. Called the supplier and Turning Point and couldn't get an answer. Bushing is seated as far as it will go. It's like the thrust nut isn't a correct fit for the prop. It's an exact match to the old one but neither work with the new prop. Saw a video online where a guy had the same problem and it was because the thrust plate was the wrong size for the prop. Does anyone have a fix(part number) for this?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
With the new drop in hubs the spline washer is not used in my experience.

I certainly dont torque them. Just snug and the cotter key.

Puncheon50

Seaman Apprentice
I spoke with Turning Point and they reccomended I beat the hell out of the bushing until I smashed down the 4 little plastic tabs in the back. It still seems a little short. I might get another 32nd or 16th out of it but doesn't that groove need to be on the inside of the hub?

Attachments

• IMG_20190603_170955.jpg
    IMG_20190603_170955.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20190603_171009.jpg
    IMG_20190603_171009.jpg
    489.7 KB · Views: 0

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
There should have been a plastic ring, about 4 inches in dia. in the Box the Prop came in. It would fit over the forward end of the hub.

Puncheon50

Seaman Apprentice
There should have been a plastic ring, about 4 inches in dia. in the Box the Prop came in. It would fit over the forward end of the hub.

Yes, I have that piece but it doesn’t list my model as needing it. Definatly would make sense to use it if it fits. Just so I understand. When you say forward edge, should the ring be seated on the inside or outside of the groove. Meaning, seated up against the bushing housing or on the edge, inserted into the lower unit hub casing.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
It should fit on the ridge/lip on the forward end(the end that goes into the back of the gear housing) of the prop hub.

What's with the stick and Plasticine?