Prop ? Front to Back play??

G. Arruda

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1st time replacing my prop, ('88 OMC 3L) There is a little front to back movment on the prop, as there was with the old prop. Is this OK? <br />Thanks lots; Gary

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: Prop ? Front to Back play??

Should be no play on either prop.On the other hand some play of the prop shaft is normal.Check and see which you have.<br /><br />DHP

G. Arruda

Petty Officer 3rd Class

it's slight front to back movment on the shaft. Tighten the castle nut to about 10lbs ( which doesn't seem real tight) and slid in the cotter pin.<br />Thanks for the help!

G. Arruda

Petty Officer 3rd Class

it's slight front to back movment on the shaft. Tighten the castle nut to about 10lbs ( which doesn't seem real tight) and slid in the cotter pin.<br />Thanks for the help!

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

it's slight front to back movment on the shaft.
Does the prop move on the shaft?<br /><br />Does the prop and shaft, move as one, in/out of the gearcase?

G. Arruda

Petty Officer 3rd Class

seems like the just the prop/hub move a bit on the shaft

fendersfender

Petty Officer 1st Class

prop should not move on shaft...if it does, you have wrong spacer behind prop...a prop that has play on shaft has the ability to snap the proshaft

G. Arruda

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks, is there a way to tell if the proper thrust washer is in place? Just a note the new prop , washers, spacers all went on as in the old prop, the boat is new to me, but serviced prof.<br />thanks, Gary

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

thanks, is there a way to tell if the proper thrust washer is in place?
Compare the origional prop and thrush washer to the new prop and new thrush washer. May require precise measuring with calipers and depth guage.<br /><br />Contact a local prop shop, or the place you acquired the new prop.

G. Arruda

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the info guy's, I'll get a hold of the shop. one other ? I tighten the nut to the spec. of 12flbs, that seems low can anyone verifie, <br />Thanks lots, Gary