Project: New to me 16' alumacraft

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i purchased this boat earlier this week off of craigslist, the guy was asking $1000 i talked him down to $600. it came with the trailer and 1983 40hp merc (doesn't run and i'm really not interested in it) so i posted it on CL for $200 obo. i figured if i get 150 that will pay for my seats and gas tank. it also came with the trailer (brand new bearings and tires) ruff on the eyes but gets the job done.

the boat was recently painted this glossy grey and carpeted; the back deck and seats where removed do to rot.

my plans are to make this into a tiller steer duck hunting machine... im planning on getting a sheet of aluminium to cover the back deck

here are the pictures of the boat the day i got it
16' alumacraft.2.jpg16' alumacraft.3.jpg16' alumacraft.jpg

this is what i'm thinking about doing to the back deck
back deck.jpg

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Project: New to me 16' alumacraft

i almost forgot the important part. i also purchased a motor for it. its a later model yamaha pro 50hp. it came with a jack plate, brand new stainless prop, and some other goods......

its not pretty but it'll have a fresh coat some time soon.

yamaha 50.1.jpgyamaha 50.2.jpgyamaha 50.3.jpgyamaha 50.4.jpgyamaha 50.jpg

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

With that 50 hp, this seems like it's going to scream with speed. Any idea if this will max out the safe HP rating for that hull? Either way it looks like you did well on your new toy. Be safe but have fun

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With that 50 hp, this seems like it's going to scream with speed. Any idea if this will max out the safe HP rating for that hull? Either way it looks like you did well on your new toy. Be safe but have fun

the speed is what i am looking forward too, i had a 14 foot duracraft before this with a 15hp top speed was 23 mph; so needless to say i was always the last of my group of friends equipped with 25's and 30's to the duck holes.

it came with the 40hp and all was well no cracks or shows of strain. i am planning on reinforcing the transom when i install the jackplate just for safe measures.

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

alright updates!!! me and my bud that owns a welding shop reinspected the hull for stress cracks and so-on being a older boat.... we only found one but he said it wasn't bad so we drilled out the ends and welded it in just too be safe. next we reinforced the transom where the jack plate would be mounted and capped it. then we mounted the motor. everything came together very easily.

yamaha 50.5.jpg yamaha 50.6.jpg

next i will start on the back deck.

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OH almost forgot! i sold the older 40 merc Fri. i let it go for 150 like i said in my 1st post ^

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I chopped and moved the old seat and back deck area about 4 inches to the rear. ran my wires to my toggles and extended the tilt and trim controller cable. you can see the gap in the wall behind the switches and a good look at my decking.
16' alumacraft painted2.jpg
I also ran a set of wires to the front for the fog and navigation light.
16' alumacraft painted4.jpg
next i installed a bilge pump and thankfully i did because we had some leaks on our 1st outing but we found and fixed them.
16' alumacraft painted3.jpg

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Well are you first to the hunting spots now? that thing has to fly!!
Good looking functional boat!!

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well are you first to the hunting spots now? that thing has to fly!!
Good looking functional boat!!

it was very quick! i ran the (My Tracks) application that's on my phone to show my path, average speed, and top speed. so with 3 people (2 adults 1 teen all in waders and 3 layers of clothing ha-ha), guns, decoys, and the unwanted 2-3 inches of water it said i hit 34.33 mph. I'm waiting for another day off to test it with just myself in the boat. I'm almost sure i still have some adjusting to do to my jack plate.

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well i got to test it out this weekend with just me in the boat. it did 38 mph up river and 40 mph down. it didn't feel like i was at the right RPM it felt almost like i had more throttle but it was to the max. i'm thinking about taking the whale tale off and maybe going up in my pitch.

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

re-camoed the boat and motor to match each other. the grey stuck out to much.
16' alumacraft camo1.jpg

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

installed 2 sets of velcro straps to hold my paddles or guns and also a top set for my 7 foot ugly stik. was a lot cheaper and better quality than most that ive seen.
holders.jpg

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

recently I've added some Shoreline Marine White LED's to my transom there supper bright and I'm looking forward to trying them out some time this week.
lights1.jpg