project boat..progress pics..03/21/07

divo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: opinions on possible project boat

ok..I emailed the guy again and asked him to actually measure it at the widest point. His reply was...77". much wider than he said before.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Six and a half feet, plenty wide enough...

divo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just got back from checking it out. Its a Starcraft Jupiter. Hull I.D. # 977703. Rated for 85 hp with remote steering. If you look past a real bad paint job this dude did, The outside of the hull is in very good condition, no dents, patches, gashes, deep scratches, wear on the keel, or missing rivits. The interior is gutted and clean. The floor you see in the pics is 1/2" pt plywood he cut out and just layed in. Under that is the hull, no foam. It apears new, very clean and no stains or corosion. The trailer is actually the correct size for the boat. The pic is deceiving. Somebody moved the axle way up. It just needs to be slid back. Its a roller, full size tires that shows minimal wear and no rot. Just some small surface rust. He just bought the boat 2 years ago not knowing it was totally rotted out, then he gutted it and has no clue what to do with it. It apears to me this boat never got much use, just sat outside and rotted. I think I can turn this 300 pound piece of scrap aluminum and junk trailer into a real nice fishing machine, built the way I want it. This boat/trailer look terrible at first sight, but its actually in good shape and has great potential. Just have to figure out what I should offer him. He also has a 1978 85 horse Chrysler that came off it that he wants to sell me for $200.00. Rebuilt 2 years ago and runs good. No controls. But I dont want it.

divo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oops

divo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

having router troubles

divo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I pick this thing up tomorrow morning. I got it for $500. I will take some better pics and post them sometime this weekend. I figure this project will go til next spring. I am going to keep track of all expenses(except beer). Thanks to all who responded.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

That has the makings of a good project. Good luck and don't forget to take lots of pictures as you work for the shareaproject forum.<br /><br />You can also put a link in your iboats signature to the project like I have so its easy for folks to follow your progress.<br /><br />Good Luck!

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was going to give you This link, but DJ's looks even better .

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it looks a lot better than the original picture. the originals were scary.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Looks good. This is exactly the sort of hull I have been looking for. Good luck and keep the pics a comin'...

divo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

update...I have ben real busy with work since I got it so not much progress. The pics dont really show it, but whatever he painted it with isnt sticking very well in alot of spots. Under the paint is bare aluminum so I decided to strip most of it down to bare. He didnt paint the very bottom and I was just going to sand it lightly, but somebody caulked the heck out of all the rivits and seams. That didnt come off to easily. So I stripped 75% to bare, put bout 10" of water in it and found a few leaky rivits. Thightened those up and will seal from inside later. Right now its upside down. I am going to paint the bottom, then put it back on the trailer and redo the transom. It has a huge cutout for the splashwell( almost full width of transom) that I am going to make smaller.I have already removed the old splashwell and will modify it or make a smaller one. No new pics to post yet but willdo sometime this week

karrick

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 1971 Starcraft after floor restore 2 years ago. Will post some updated pics hopefully tomorrow of new seats and new paint. Hope this gives ya some ideas.<br />Karrick<br /><br />
DSC00054.jpg
<br /><br />
DSC00053.jpg
<br /><br />
DSC00048-1.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

nice job Karrick

divo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ditto on the nice job karrick. Nice n clean, lots of room. What horsepower ya got on it and whats your top speed? Is the carpet glued right to the hull in the bow? I am looking forward to see the pics of it painted. I am trying to decide what colors I am going to paint mine. Right now I am thinking Almond on the bottom up to bout 2/3 up, then something like forest green up from there.

karrick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Didn't get the pics I wanted last night. I was taking a friends hopeful new boat out for a test float... Yes, the carpet is glued to the sides of the hull. The paint is just a new coat of the same colors. I used 3/4 PT plywood for the floor and casting deck up front so it weighs it down a little bit. It has a '71 60hp Johnson and will push me solo around 30mph with 4 people it slows down to around 23-26. I've got the itch for an 85 or equivalant to help pull the tubers.

divo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just took the trailer to get weighed...it came in at 470 pounds. I am goung to paint it today if it doesnt start raining. The bottom of the hull is primed an am just waiting for it to dry so I can shoot the paint on tonight. Will post pics before I put the boat back on the trailer.