Progress

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer
I've been making good progress on the resto job on my father-in-law's Norman 23 (see "Yet another resto project!" thread).<br />Since posting the previous pictures I've stripped the whole cabin area and made and glassed in new seat bases, 3/4" ply carcasses Mahogany veneered, and also made new 3/4" ply floors which are being clad in 1/2" Oak planking. I'll post some more photos of work in progress over the next few days.<br />When the cabin is done I'll be cladding all the new cockpit flooring with Oak too, but there I'll be leaving gaps between the planks to be filled with black caulking for a more authentic look.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: Progress

3/4 ply and 1/2" oak planking? that should make<br />1 strong floor! any worries over all that weight?

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer

any worries over all that weight?<br />
Not really, it's a 23' hull which will barely notice the weight, and it will only be cruising at river speeds around 5 knots so weight is not really a problem.<br />Actually the 3/4" ply is no heavier than the 1/2" I was going to use, but it's stiffer due to the extra thickness. The stiffness of the flooring also allows me to use fewer supporting pieces underneath which saves some weight, it also leaves the bilges completely clear, in fact in the cabin there is no structure supporting the floor at all except at the edges.<br />I clad the first piece of interior flooring this afternoon and oiled it, it looks really nice and the smell of freshly cut Oak and wood oil is wonderful!

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer

where are the pic's
There's some HERE and I'll post some more soon.<br />All the floor panels are in my workshop having the oak planking glued on, then I have to oil them and let them dry before I can put them back in, I'll take new photos then as it's pretty much just a gutted hull otherwise.

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer

OK, finally got around to taking some more photos!<br /><br />Here's a view of the main cabin showing the new seat bases I put in, the old ones opened at the sides for storage, the new ones open from the top making access easier. They're made from the same 3/4" ply as the new floors and are Mahogany veneered.<br />
PICT0011.jpg
<br /><br />A close-up of the forward cabin floor and step, 3/4" ply with 1/2" Oak planking.<br />
PICT0010.jpg
<br /><br />The new seat bases and one of the new floor panels.<br />
PICT0012.jpg
<br /><br />I still have to give the bulkheads a coat or two of varnish to freshen them up, then the rest of the flooring can go in and the side trim panels, they're already made and just have to be dropped into place. That's about it for the interior then, so in another week or so I'll be starting to plank the cockpit floor.

BillP

Captain

Petrolhead,<br />It's looking good. What are you going to do for the interior hull sides? Really cool boat. I was in London years ago and toured the countryside out to Shakespeares house and then to a castle further out. There was a canal most the way that looked like it would be a blast to cruise in. Are people still canal cruising over there?

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer

What are you going to do for the interior hull sides?
White Foamex, a dense foamed PVC sheet with a hard smooth surface, moisture proof and easy to keep clean. <br /><br />
Are people still canal cruising over there?
The canals are hugely popular, probably more so now than ever, many are being restored and re-opened too. The Norman 23 is ideally suited to canal cruising, it'll fit easily through any of the locks, and will go under most of the bridges and through all but the smallest tunnels.

crab bait

Captain

really good work PETRO..!! you seem to enjoy the little things.. which is a beautiful thing..

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer

you seem to enjoy the little things
God is in the details, as they say. That's a bit of an odd quote for an atheist like me, but it's true!

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

impressed mate! that mahogony vaneer is sweet!<br />how did u bond it to the plywood???

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer

Using my favourite method, brush PVA on both surfaces, allow to dry until it goes clear, then iron the veneer on. The heat melts the glue and bonds it instantly.<br />I've heard that the new Titebond III is particularly good for this and it's waterproof too, must give it a try sometime.<br />The Oak planking is glued with polyurethane adhesive, another of my favourites!