proformance of an older motor

tav

Petty Officer 1st Class
i have a 14' aluminum with a 1982 2 stroke 7.5 evirude, i did add a removable deck and floors totalling about an extra 50 or so lbs. with me only the motor does ok but with one more it plows . i would like to get a 9.9 or a 15 h.p (max for motor) 2 stroke or is a 4 stroke better? my question is there any diff. from the older motors to the newer one, i mean newer as in 1990 thru 2000 or so. ie: power , performance wieght, i would think a 9.9 would plain my boat with the added wgt. i know the 15 will ,

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: proformance of an older motor

Cool, I have a motor like that, but a 1983 Johnson. They only made that motor for those two years.

Anyhow, yea....A 15 would probably be a little better match for the size boat you have. It'll get you out to the fishing spots a lot quicker.

The 7.5 would work just fine, if speed wasn't a concern, because it will trol your boat down to a nice slow speed. However, the 7.5 would be better off on a 12 footer.

I prefere the 2 stroke motors, because the 4 strokes have a bit of a weight issue. They do run nice and smoothe compared to the 2 strokes though.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

That and the 4 strokes are much more complicated and more expensive to maintain, but no mixing of oil, both have benefits. A 15 would move a 14 footer quite well.

jbjennings

Captain

The 2-strokes are better if they're legal. More power, less weight, less maintenance, LESS PRICE!!!!. IF you troll a lot, the 4-stroke has an edge on gas mileage.
I recommend the 15hp, or you can step up to the Crown Jewel of all small outboards-----the prized OMC 18hp(by me, anyway:)), if your boat is rated for an 18hp. If you are having problems with not enough power with a 7.5hp, you don't want a 9.9.
JMO,
JBJ

My favorites below::rolleyes:

Attachments

• boat pictures with Larsen 091.jpg
    boat pictures with Larsen 091.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 0

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Ahhhhh yes. An 18. I second that as well.:D:D

Attachments