Problems Removing a Volvo 280 DP leg

Kilwinning

Cadet
This is my first post, I guess I've been lurking for the last year or more, I can't say enough how great of a site this is. I think I have spent the last year or so just reading and going over old posts on legs, Deisel Engines and boat restoration ( given the age of my boat I'll probably need it ) I have a new to me 1970s era Double Eagle boat. It has AQAD30a with a 280 DP leg, I have never had it in the water, so before I did I thought I would go over it and repair or replace anything obvious.
I am in the process of pulling the leg to replace all the hoses below the waterline, everything went great pins out, bellows disconnected , shifter disconnected but when I tried to pull the leg out it wouldn't budge, I built a frame to keep the leg level so it's not that, it appears the drive shaft female end coupler is seized to the male end. I did a search but couldn't come up with anything, I did spray it with penetrating oil and am letting it sit for a while. So I'm hoping somebody has some ideas on how to remove this. Thanks
Kilwinning

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

you did pull the steering helmet pin and rotate the helmet up, correct? also, you cant keep the leg straight, you have to wiggle and move it to get things to align when you put it back in. BTW, you should be able to replace the hose and intake casting by only removing the upper.

Kilwinning

Cadet
Thanks Scott,
yes I did remove the steering helmet pin , the reason I decided to pull the leg is that this boat hasn't seen the water in a few years, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to pull the complete leg. I'm thinking of making up a slide hammer that hooks on to the universal, might screw it up but I'm hoping it won't hurt anything else, do you see me causing any damage to other things, I'm hoping it doesn't take much to get it moving.
Thanks Kilwinning.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If the shift cable is disconnected, the pivot pins from the H frame, tilt pins, both bellows and the hose, put a block of wood under the skeg, grab the upper gear housing and rock it backwards. No need for a slide hammers.

Kilwinning

Cadet
Thanks for that Scott, I tryed what you suggested but no go. I sprayed more penetrating oil in there so I`ll try again tomorrow.
Thanks Kilwinning

Kilwinning

Cadet
Thanks Fishermark, haven't been on in a while and just saw your post. Still a work in progress or lack of progress, I'll give it another go this weekend, I'll put your method on my list of things to try.
Thanks and have good weekend.

Kilwinning

Cadet
Well an update on my problems removing my 280 DP leg (Success). I made a bigger slide hammer and bought a heat gun as I was a little concerned with using a torch because of all the liquid I used trying to free up the coupler. I heated it all up used lots of LPS ,tryed my slide hammer over and over, nothing doing. Tackled it again yesterday with even more heat, but again nothing. Went at again this morning with the intention of cutting it off but tryed the slide hammer once more and voila it came off , the only difference I took a drift and gave it a few good smacks on the coupler,
Thanks to all who gave me advice on things to try.
Kilwinning