Problem shifting into forwrd - SP-A outdrive

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Went boating over the weekend and noticed that the shifter was "stiff" going into forward gear and throttling up. Didn't give it too much thought... fingured I would look at when I go back home. As I approached the ramp, I suddenly could not go into forward gear. The shifter handle would go into neutral and reverse with no problem, but would not physically go into forward gear. The handle would not move past neutral.

This is on a 1990 Volvo SP-A outdrive.

This morning I had the chance to do a little more investigating. The shifter works fine with the cable disconnected. The cable works fine when unhooked from the outdrive.

The outdrive shifts fine into and out of gear - no problem at all.

The shift plate itself however, will not move into a "forward gear position." Here's a video:

Question: Where does that rod go, and why does it stop moving?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The rod on the right goes to the reverse lock mechanism. Disconnect the road that goes to the Z bar lever and see if you can manually turn the gear box itself

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Thanks for the info Scott. I was able to find the problem. Actually I had two problems as it turns out....

1. Yep. The reverse lock mechanism was seized up. I had always wondered what that extra rod went to and what it did, now I understand it better. I guess when shifting into reverse it locks the outdrive in place. When in forward, the outdrive is held in place as well, but if you hit something it is spring loaded and will allow the outdrive to pop up to avoid damage. My problem was the various components were gunked up and seized up. I was able to disassemble them and get them working well.

2. My other problem is I had the shift linkage backwards. Quick back story - this is a project boat I have been working on for several months. The shift control on it was missing the switch for the trim. I found another control box at a local marine consignment shop for a few bucks, so I replaced the control. Long story short, it turns out it sifts backwards from the original one. I put the original shift control back on the boat, switched the linkage on the outdrive shift plate, and everything works great again.

Thanks for the help!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The reverse latch is a #&!% finicky assembly. Lake sure you have the shift cable adjusted properly, or it will wear the latch pawl ears and eventually not work.

Aren't all boats project boats?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Aren't all boats project boats?

Too true!

I will say this... I am usually a Mercruiser guy. I know them pretty much back and forth / in and out. This is my first foray into the mysterious world of Volvo Penta. I like how it shifts... but I don't like the crazy prices of the parts! This boat is pretty much done and I like it, but if I had it to do over again I would have passed it up and kept looking! :rolleyes: