problem occurs randomly..........

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer
ok so by now this is my 3rd post and each time i get a new diagnosis after i fix what i thought was the problem....

as far as i know... 91 351 ford motor cobra outdrive

what i've done so far:
changed fuel filter.

checked 55 gallon gas tank for vent issues and/or crimpt gas lines.

changed dist. and roter. both looked the same as what i had.

changed plug wires.

changed 3 of the spark plugs [ i can get 1 off each side on the ends and it took me an hour to pull one out that was around the manafolds.

dumpd in 3 cans of SeaFoam each can good for 8-25 gallons of gas apox 50 gallons at the time.

i put about 60 gallons worth of Sta-bil into tank last fall i had maybe 50 gallons of gas.

on to my current problem:
motor starts and i can idle out past the no wake signs with out a problem. then once i start to take off some where around 1k rpm and 2.1k rpm [randomly] the motor will shake like a b**** and sputter/stumble for maybe 5-10 seconds, then return to where i had the thottle set and i am good i can take off untill, i return thottle to idle or below 1k rpm and try to take off again i have the same issue. some people around me that work on vehicals think its the carb but they dont work on boats and it doesn't seem to me like its a carb issue.

i've been reading on esa and how you can set it up like a mercruiser which is fine by me as long as that is the problem but they don't really discribe it well enough for me to go ahead and start clipping wires. also i've read i can buy the esa unit for like $90 on ebay or something.
my question being which way would be better i mean if its the esa now in 5? 10? years or a few months? how long before it goes out? the thottle does seem a little hard going back into neutral and i've read that is a symptom of esa.

any help towords fixing this issue would be greatly apreciated/ or another way to change the plugs. i tried a snap-on socket and universail and a 2-3 inch extention by the time i put each piece on i broke the first plug in half, which i dont want to do again.

SeanMcl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: problem occures randomly..........

i've been reading on esa and how you can set it up like a mercruiser which is fine by me as long as that is the problem...

This will go under the "ruling out other issues" heading, so if you do change the ESA at least you have narrowed it down. Fuel feed issues can give similar symptoms, and everyone jumps to the carb as the culprit, but it isn't always so, especially with boats. This applies only to Holley carbs, Q-jets are totally different and I don't know much about them.

One easy thing you can do to know for sure if it is or isn't a fuel feed issue, is go out on the water and when it starts to sputter turn the key off. Don't take it out of gear or pull the throttle back, just shut it down first and then reset the controls. Now go back and look in the carbs float bowl. Holleys either have a small sight glass that shows the fuel level in there, or you remove a screw from the side of the bowl. The bottom of the screw hole is at the level the fuel should be, so you should get a little fuel dribbling out as the boat rocks. Have a rag handy to catch any spillage, and a flashlight you can shine in the hole to look for fuel; and perhaps a zip tie or something you can slide in like a dipstick.

If your float bowl is dry, you _know_ you have a fuel feed issue. Might be the float needle in the carb, the fuel pump, blocked vent, gunk in the tank, etc. But you know where to start. If you have fuel, then you can rule out a big chunk of potential problems. Either way it takes less than 5 minutes, uses no special tools and it's conclusive.

Best of luck, chasing these problems always takes time.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Those plugs are a ***** for sure. I had better luck using an offset box wrench. Next time I might just remove the manifolds first.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

sounds like it's starving for fuel to me.
I'd check pressure between the lift pump and carb, or look down the carb while someone else drive - but be cautious and ready for a lean backfire in the face....
I like Sean's float bowl method.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

the rain and work combo has been keeping me tied up so i havn't been able to do much hopfully wenesday will be my day.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

ok so 3 weeks later? i took it into shop monday got it back tonite, turns out carb was great, esa was great, even lower shifter cable was good. it happened to be timing was off how is this possible? either way they fixed it $50.00 in and out in 3 days i am happy. as my sig says repair shops are for the rich and lazy make that and/or because i am not rich but i got lazy never imagined it would have been timing. just glad its all good now

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Bet you think twice the next time. Glad you got it taken care of.