Primer Solenoid Adjustment

Ranger Danger

Seaman
Hello all. I appreciate the help I've received so far, and now I'm back for more.

I have a 1978 Evinrude 115 HP, 2 stroke 4 cylinder. I've been working on the carbs for a couple of days.

My question today is about the primer solenoid. While taking the carbs off and trying to get the engine running better, I noticed that when I push the key in the butterflys don't close completely. When I manually push the choke lever, they shut completely.

While I had it apart, I screwed the bottom tab of the solenoid up until it started shutting the butterflys all the way when I depressed the key. But now when the solenoid is not activated, the butterflys are about a 1/4 of the way shut. Now I have concerns about that not being open enough for air flow.

Any suggestions?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Primer Solenoid Adjustment

The choke plates should be perfectly horizontal when not in use and closed completely when in use.

First, use the linkage between the carburetors to synchronize the chokes, then loosen the clamp (yoke) and move the solenoid in small increments until it opens and closes correctly.

There should be absolutely no lubricant of any kind between the choke solenoid plunger and the choke solenoid - you want it to be very clean and dry.

Ranger Danger

Seaman

Thank you sir! I hadn't considered using the linkage.

If I'm still having issues with it could there be a problem with the solenoid or something else?

Ranger Danger

Seaman

Got it figured out. I had to move the primer solenoid higher up on the mount, then tighten it down. Thanks!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The primer solenoid does NOT use the choke flaps at the same time. The choke flaps are used when you have the cover off......

The primer shoots fuel into the reed blocks and basically bypasses the carbs.

Ranger Danger

Seaman

Then maybe my verbage is off...

When I push the key in, a solenoid closes the butterfly, just as if I'd manually closed the choke.

So perhaps it's called a choke solenoid?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Yes, on that model it's choke solenoid. You adjusted it correctly by moving it up or down.