Primer solenoid Adjustment?

itcowboy

Cadet
First off my boat sat for 7 years and with the help of this forum it has been running great except for one issue at startup. (1985 Evindrude, 150HP). When I first start I pump fuel bulb and push in key to activate primer solenoid. Motor fires right up and runs. It seems to run flooded after this for a bit. I idle out and go to take off and motor is sluggish and won't run but about 35mph and seems to be flooding. After about 30 seconds to a minute at this speed, it all at once leans out, rpms jump, speed jumps and motor runs great the rest of the day. My question is: Is this some adjustment in the primer solenoid? It's like the motor is choking too long. That make sense?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Primer solenoid Adjustment?

Sometimes it may be necessary to bump the keyswitch primer button a few times after engine fires to allow it to settle to a smooth idle.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

sitting for 7 years, if you haven't changed the impeller your are flirting with extreme danger. also sounds, like there is some varnish build up ,it's more like fuel starvation, that the engine is having to clear out of the carbs. time to clean and rebuild. also you have to turn the key to on for the primer to activate.

also another thought, the timer base plate may be sticking, on the initial start.

itcowboy

Cadet

The carbs were rebuilt, new plugs, new wires, and put in a new impeller. Motor actually runs better than ever except for that short little period when I first get to the lake.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you should have told us that in the beginning. history helps. with engine off and cold, check the timer plate, disconnect the throttle cable, put shifter in forward, and manually advance the throttle, watch the timer plate under the flywheel, it should advance smoothly, if it catchs, thats your problem