Primer Bulb

Prairie Dog

Cadet
1982 - 90 HP Johnson V4
Does the primer bulb push raw fuel into the cylinders, or does it only fill up the float bowls? Or in other words, can I flood the motor with too many squeezes of the bulb?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
It would be impossible to flood the engine by pumping the fuel primer bulb UNLESS the floats were adjusted improperly or the float needle valves were flawed.

If the floats and associated needle valves were as they should be. you could stand on that fuel primer ball and the engine would not flood out!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Not an expert on primer solenoids, but might be a chance of flooding if primer bulb pushes fuel through the solenoid. Guessing that might happen if the solenoid was defective (torn gasket). May also be a case of incorrect manual/automatic setting(?)

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Not an expert on primer solenoids, but might be a chance of flooding if primer bulb pushes fuel through the solenoid. Guessing that might happen if the solenoid was defective (torn gasket). May also be a case of incorrect manual/automatic setting(?)

Agreed... a defective Fuel Primer Solenoid would allow fuel to flow through to the intake manifold area.

Prairie Dog

Cadet
Reopening this thread, a little history on my motor.Eight weeks ago, I rebuilt the carbs and the motor has run flawlessly until this week. Now, the motor is flooding and will not start. Also, the primer bulb does not get hard no matter how many times it's squeezed. Does this sound like I should be looking at the primer solenoid first?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
If a carburetor problem... fuel will be flowing from the faulty one... no big deal troubleshooting that one.

Fuel primer solenoid?..... small line leading from the solenoid..... remove one from the carburetor or intake manifold, whichever one it's connected to. Observe while pumping the fuel primer bulb. I fuel shoots out of that hose or any portion of the solenoid, then yes, there's a problem there.