Primer bulb location

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
My portable fuel tank is about 10ft away from the motor (86 evinrude 70hp) should I mount the primer bulb closer to the tank or closer to the motor ?

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
I always put my primer ball close to the motor, and they work out great for me. Never had a problem, and I had some tanks that were farther away than 10 feet from the motor. I think if it's too far away from the motor, and closer to the tank, it would have a harder time sucking the gas up and pushing it all the way into the motor when you want to prime the fuel line & carb.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Well, the motor doesn't care. BUT if the primer is close to the motor, it has to suck all that air from the hose before getting any fuel (assuming of course that it is empty). On the other hand, close to the tank, it gets fuel very quickly. But that is impractical where the tank isn't readily accessible. Or anywhere in between. Your preference.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
They probably put the Bulb close to the Tank during manufacture so it wouldn't be flopping around if the Hose were to unwrap itself when the tank was being carried. Most pumps are better at pushing fuel than trying to evaluate the Hose of Air so Atmospheric Pressure at the tank can push the Fuel down the Line

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The primer bulb is simply a manual pump.-----Yes it will works quicker if near the tank.-----Once motor is running the bulb does nothing.-----

tomhath

The only time it will make a real difference is if the motor's fuel pump goes out and you need to manually pump the bulb to keep going. Put it where you can reach it while underway.

iggyw1

The only time it will make a real difference is if the motor's fuel pump goes out and you need to manually pump the bulb to keep going. Put it where you can reach it while underway.

Good point!!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Those primers have a couple of check valves in them, that's how they work. When you set it up, doesn't matter where you put it, but if you're able to hold it vertical while priming, you'll find they work heaps better.

Chris......