preventing boat theft: your tricks please

octane

Seaman Apprentice
so this week I'm picking up my new Doral with Merrc outboard. In the past I didn't worry too much about getting my old boat stolen since it was so old, but on a brand new boat, I want to put chance on my side. The boat will be at the cottage for the summerand we won't be there during the week.

here's what I plan on doing:
when on the dock
-prop lock (required by my insurance)
-outboard engine lock (also required)
-chain the front hook of the boat to a metal ring welded to the dock using a 3/8th chain and lock.

when on the trailer
-put a coupler lock (of course the coupler should be welded on)
-chain the trailer to a concrete/metal post

What other tricks do you guys have?

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: preventing boat theft: your tricks please

My other boat was on a trailer with a folding tongue. I used to fold it over and then wrap the safety chains around the beam of the trailer and padlock them together.

You're only going to stop the opportunistic theif anyway so just about any deterrent will do. A determined theif will get it no matter what you do.

spitfisher

Cadet

Remove one trailer tire/wheel........ and put a sign on the engine, make it look official "engine seized- out of warrentee"

baconbiscut

Petty Officer 1st Class

Connect 220 volts to the bow rails.

Just kidding!

octane

Seaman Apprentice

Remove one trailer tire/wheel........ and put a sign on the engine, make it look official "engine seized- out of warrentee"

hard to do on a brand new engine! but the wheel trick I always do when I park the trailer for the off season.

Bamboo

Seaman

Here in Florida boat theft is a honed skill for the "pros", and if they really want it they will get it. But, for the opportunistic thieves I use several chains/lock which they would have to defeat/cut and take more time than they would want to spend.
I use the following:
Each wheel is chained with hardened chain and industrial locks (two on each wheel), swing away is locked as was mentioned earlier, HD coupler lock, and it's backed up against a building to limit access to the OB motor (so they can't lift the motor on the back of a p/u truck). And mine in a carport in my back yard behind a locked fence!

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

With a car parked in front of it.

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

Replace your Mercury decals with Force...no one will touch it!!!:D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

my avatar is my anti theft device. don't mess with her boats.

ovrrdrive

Petty Officer 1st Class

Replace your Mercury decals with Force...no one will touch it!!!:D

I know I'm new around here, but that sure seems like it should be nominated for the post of the year or something. I nearly fell out of my chair. :cool:

octane

Seaman Apprentice

I know I'm new around here, but that sure seems like it should be nominated for the post of the year or something. I nearly fell out of my chair. :cool:

+1 lol

CATransplant

Admiral

My solution is to have an ugly boat. I love it, but nobody else will.

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

Get a steamboat!:D It is too easy to trace and the thieves can't figure out how to start it. On the water, it surely won't be able to outrun the waterpolice.:rolleyes:

Seriously, preventing theft on any item is simply making it just enough difficult to boost so the thieves will go to an easier target. Most of them are not fast thinking and few prepare for surprises.

Those that really want what you have and are too shiftless to get a job sometimes have to be planted to prevent them from sucess.

Ares596ZP

Seaman Apprentice

I have a motion sensor hidden on the dock, someone gets close to it at night, sets off an alarm in my house, I go outside and visit them. Have yet to have anyone in anyway step foot on my dock though, and there is some benefits to living on a lake with your own private dock and slip. There is NO reason for anyone to step foot on it other than something mischievous.

woodee148

Petty Officer 2nd Class

park it beside a nicer boat

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

Over where I'm at where thefts are a common problem, I've seen guys take allwheels off the trailer, put on a heavy duty cover over the boat that straps down tight and place a web cam aimed at boat & trailer. Although your computer will have to be constantly on, you can check it from anywhere you have Internet access. Also, get to know who your local law enforcement officers are and report any unusual circumstances to them to check it out when you're away.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

there is a new gps thingie that you can hide in your boat....it costs a bundle, but you will get your boat back

erikgreen

Captain

I park my boat near me, where I can watch it.

Plus I have one of these:

72l_RI1166--WASR10-MilStock.jpg