pressure tank and carb 1959 10hp

smeltjr

Seaman Apprentice
two questions. rebuilt carb, and tank for this one was old and leaking so got gasket, diaphram, o rings and hose. <br />regards tank-it leaks. i did something wrong with diaphram. there is a small hole on the black handle piece-about 1/8", next to the fuel connectors that is meant to be there. this is where the tank is leaking after i put it back together. if i put my finger over the hole, or plug it, it stays running. if i take finger off or pull off plug pressure hisses out. is the plastic primer button and i have the correct diaphram. what did i do wrong?<br />regards carb, just cannot get it set right. followed joe reeves' post. got high speed fine, but low speed coughs. got it set pretty good once and did not touch and started coughing later after a few runs. i do not know if i got the packing correct on the needles as far as how much packing on each needle-but i did not use them all.<br />can the tank condition have anything to do with this? packing wrong and leaking? maybe something else? <br />i have a factory manual and a 1960 in the same model as well with a single line tank. obviously, i'd like to get the tank issue resolved first. plugging that hole with a rubber worm to keep pressure in the tank because my finger gets tired just is not a good idea.

REELSPORT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: pressure tank and carb 1959 10hp

I have a friend that had a 1959 10hp evinrude and a bass boat. He blew up the bass boat motor and wanted to install the 10hp on it just to get around on. Problem bass boat had a built in tank and the 10 builds pressure in the tank and has no fuel pump. He figured that the 10 would not pressurize such a big tank so he got an electric fuel pump from local auto parts installed it and put a switch on dash to cut on and off. Therefore solving his problem and that could be an answer for you if you are so inclind to do so.

smeltjr

Seaman Apprentice

i dont think i will be switching to a fuel pump. i've got the parts-i just put something together wrong, though i thought i did it just like the diagram and how it came apart. nothing wrong with these tanks, i have another 59 as well and another pressure tank-fresh hose and o-rings on the connector and never, ever had a problem with that one.

Old Mission

Recruit

Dear Smelt... How do you get the O rings into the connector??? I cannot figure that one out. I'd like to see your diagram, too, cause I just re-built my tank and I don't have any Idea if I did it right.<br />Email me at neillau@hotmail.com Thanks!!