Pre-alpha trim limit switch faulty

rlester

Cadet
I have a 1973 Glasspar V-165 boat with the 140HP 3.0 Mercruiser engine. Trim was working fine, now today it will not go up unless I press both buttons. Goes down (in) just fine. From what I've been reading this problem is caused by a defective limit switch. Are they still available for these old units?

Also, the trim gauge isn't always accurate. If it stops showing accurately, I just put the leg all the way up with both buttons, then down again. Gauge works fine after this.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I've searched google to no end on this.

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

If you search "Mercruiser 63115A2" you can find the limit switch in New Old Stock (NOS) in places like ebay which is mounted on the port side. The starboard side just uses a dummy to cover hinge pin.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/subassembly/30826/1574/40

You could also, connect the two wires together going out to the drive and then the up will work like the trailer function.

kenny nunez

Captain
You may have the really old style that is mounted in the top of the gimbal ring which is activated by the top of the bellhousing as the drive goes up. It is not worth the time and labor to replace. The trim sender is the old linear hydraulic style and over the years this is what happens to them. You may be able to take it apart and clean the contacts.

rlester

Cadet
Ok, thanks. How do I know if I have the old style mounted in the top of the gimbal ring, or the other kind? Also, where is the trim sender that is the old linear hydraulic style located?

Alumarine

Captain
Actually my 74 had it in the top of the gimbal ring.
It stopped working around 1980.

kenny nunez

Captain
Look behind the engine and you will see the sender as it has hydraulic hoses and wires that should be blue or purple, some times they are bolted to the plate where the shift cables are located. If there is paint worn off the top of the bell housing in a vertical line then you definitely have the early style limit switch.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
The sender which has mounted in the top of the gimbal ring ended in 1969. See item 10 in the link below and note the top area of the ring where the switch was installed

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/s...y/30824/1564/3

Hinge pin mounted senders didn't start on MC-1 drives until about 1976. If the limit switch has failed, just jump it out in the trim pump harness. The switch is long since NLA. Same with the gauge sender, NLA.

rlester

Cadet
Ok, I finally got the boat home from the cabin and I've verified that it does have the top of the gimbal mounted limit switch. I've bypassed it and is now working again. I've found the trim sender and might take it apart and clean it up so the gauge is more accurate. Thanks guys, much appreciated.

How much work is it to remove the limit switch? Without a manual, I don't know how to get this stuff apart. I've changed the gimbal bearing and shift cable and boot with success myself though. Although the shifter is all of a sudden out of adjustment. To get it out of reverse, I have to put it just past neutral into forward. What happened here? It was perfect after I changed the cable.

Alumarine

Captain
I'm not sure how much work it is to remove the limit switch but as Chis said, it's NLA (no longer available).

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Ok, I finally got the boat home from the cabin and I've verified that it does have the top of the gimbal mounted limit switch. I've bypassed it and is now working again. I've found the trim sender and might take it apart and clean it up so the gauge is more accurate. Thanks guys, much appreciated.

How much work is it to remove the limit switch? Without a manual, I don't know how to get this stuff apart.

More trouble than it's worth.

rlester said:
I've changed the gimbal bearing and shift cable and boot with success myself though. Although the shifter is all of a sudden out of adjustment. To get it out of reverse, I have to put it just past neutral into forward. What happened here? It was perfect after I changed the cable.

Check the shift interrupt switch is still working and in adjustment.

rlester

Cadet
Ok, I've checked the shift interrupt switch and that all looks fine. It is still not shifting right, should I pull the leg off? I did use the safety wire to lock that threaded end of the cable, not sure what could be out of adjustment.