Pre-Alpha shift problem

jimmer4444

Seaman Apprentice
I removed my outdrive and had to replace the little hose inside bellhousing next to bellows,,put it back togeather and I have no reverse,,pulled drive off and noticed that the upper shift shaft clocking for the upper roller fork is sset back to far so it hits outdrive housing when it mmoves,,it seems like the shaft has turned,but I don't see how this is possible

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Pre-Alpha shift problem

The shifter needs to be in forward gear before you remove the drive. If not, it will bend the shift shafts.
Then when you reinstall the drive, the shifter must be in forward and the lower unit must be turned to the forward position and tension on the prop to keep it in forward.

Do you have a manual? What year is your drive?

jimmer4444

Seaman Apprentice

yes I know about putting it in forward when taking it off and back on,,,it's a 66 model and I've had it off numerous times but this time it's like the shaft got twisted but it doesn't look twisted,,I can't figure out what happened

f_inscreenname

Commander

Like Don said it sounds like something is bent and the only way to fix it is taking the drive back off. Then you can also get a good look at whats going on.