Power trim problem 1982 Johnson 115

Carphunter

Commander
I have what I believe is a 1982 Johnson 115 V4, though it could be an 81. Model#J115TLCSA, serial #J5333665. The power trim has become sluggish the past few years. It moves up and down very slowly. Much slower than it used to. I checked the hydraulic fluid and it was a little low. I added fluid and tried to purge air from the system with no change. I'm not sure if I purged air from the system correctly though. I did notice that a small amount of fluid is leaking around the right cylinder shaft. I do have good power from the battery. The motor will slowly drift down on its own also. It just seems like the trim has very little power anymore whether going up or down. Any suggestions? Thank you.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Your engine is a CS, which means it's a 1980. The trim system needs to be full in order to function properly. If you fill the reservoir up to the lip of the screw hole, then run the trim up/down a few cycles, that should purge the air from the system. Keep adding oil and bleeding the system till it is full. Since you have a leak, you may have some water in the system, which might affect it's performance. You say the motor will drift down: perhaps you mean that the system pressure will bleed off and the engine will drift down as the trim system loses pressure. That could be normal with a leak. Or it could be a defective valve in the system. You can repair the leaking seal and wiper on the small trim ram fairly easily with an automotive "spanner" wrench. Just be sure you have no water in the system when your repair is done. likely your remote trim box is similar to my 1979 version-which connects direct to the battery. Make sure your battery leads are shiny and clean, that the fuse and fuse holder are clean (Rusty terminals cause problems.) Ditto for all the connections inside the control box-they rarely receive attention.

Carphunter

Commander
Thanks emdsapmgr! I will check some of the things you mentioned. I'm sure i will need to purchase a new seal. It would be nice if i could find a repair "kit" and replace all the necessary seals while i have it apart. Thanks again for the quick response.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You can buy a whole o-ring repair kit for your trim unit: $ 34.00 Part number 393942 [1990 and older integral trim units.] No need to purchase a bunch of orings that you don't need, when all you need is one oring and a wiper.