Power Trim leak? (milky overflowing trim fluid)

hal2814

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was finishing up winterization yesterday on my 1990 Merc 4.3L Alpha One when I noticed the power steering pump reservoir was overfolwing and the fluid was a milky white mess. The power trim still functions properly but I haven't touched it since I noticed the fluid since I don't want to damage anything. Is this some sort of leak? Is it something else? What sort of steps can I take to confirm the problem? I'm afraid of performing the leak testing I found in the Merc manual pdf with the fluid in that shape.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Power Trim leak? (milky overflowing trim fluid)

Water is leaking in past the trim cylinder shaft seal, it's a double lipped seal, so it won't leak oil out, just water in. That is why it overfills itself.

Bondo

Staff member

hal2814 said:
I was finishing up winterization yesterday on my 1990 Merc 4.3L Alpha One when I noticed the power steering pump reservoir was overfolwing and the fluid was a milky white mess. The power trim still functions properly but I haven't touched it since I noticed the fluid since I don't want to damage anything. Is this some sort of leak? Is it something else? What sort of steps can I take to confirm the problem? I'm afraid of performing the leak testing I found in the Merc manual pdf with the fluid in that shape.

Which Is It,..??.....

Steering or Trim,..??.....

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Thats why I didn't answer it earlier. Leaky trim turned into Power Steering....backed off before a headache I couldn't get rid off showed up

Don S

Didn't notice that till you guys mentioned it. But my bet is that it is a trim problem. Milky oil in the power steering would be pink. The trim/tilt oil used in Mercs is SUPPOSED to have oil in it, which turns white, or gray. but not pink.

hal2814

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry, my mistake. It's certainly trim. Should've been "trim pump reservoir." Power steering is a-ok. Just a typo on my part.

hal2814

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Power trim isn't something I've had to work with before so forgive me if this comes off as a dim question. By "trim cylinder shaft seal" do you mean the end cap (The part labelled "A" on figure 22133 on page 5D-3 of this doc http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6D5R3.PDF)? That seems to make the most sense based on Don's desription. And thank you guys so much for the help even if I did give a confusing description.

Don S

Yep, that's the one.