Power Trim goes up but not down on Johnson Outboard Motor MODEL NO J30PL4SD

Robertse

Cadet
Hi All, I have Johnson Outboard Motor MODEL NO J30PL4SD, Power Trim goes up but not down. I have topped up the Hydraulics fluid, I hear a click at the relay when I press the down trim button, I have test power by the Multimeters at the output of the Relay (12 Volts is recorded) which goes from the relay to the another relay /switch (see attached photo) to the connected to the housing of the Hydraulic Motor. The Trim goes down by releasing the manual overwrite screw. Any suggestion will be appreciated. Should I just replace the main relay unit?Thank you in advance for your help.

Attachments

• 20240303_135319.jpg
    20240303_135319.jpg
    876.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Does sound like a problem with the down solenoid OR its wiring.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Did you test the switch or wires or is the polarity correct?

Pump runs backwards when switch is deployed so check polarity.

Robertse

Cadet
Did you test the switch or wires or is the polarity correct?

Pump runs backwards when switch is deployed so check polarity.
I the cable comming out of the relay unit, with reported 12 Volts. The Green and Blue Cables go to the Hydraulic Motor and it looks like a white orange and Blue goes to this secondary switch/relay. See the attached photo.

Attachments

• 20240303_181259.jpg
    20240303_181259.jpg
    589.8 KB · Views: 5

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
sounds like the T&T motor does not run when told to go down. if polatity does not reverse but relay clicks swap relays if plug in type to see if trouble becomes a NO UP instead of a no down problem

if that is the result..... relay is defective if same result (no down) check relay socket

test motor alone by applying and reversing 12v on bue green wires to eleiminate the motor as a possible cause.
see typical 2 wireT&T diagram make certain B+ and Grd supply reaches relay sockets are ok also check B+ from DOWN trim switch

Attachments

• 2-wire-Trim.jpg
    2-wire-Trim.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Crosby,

You always have the best diagrams!

Poster, remember this always. Blue is up (sky), green is down (grass).

Let us know how it comes out.

Robertse

Cadet
sounds like the T&T motor does not run when told to go down. if polatity does not reverse but relay clicks swap relays if plug in type to see if trouble becomes a NO UP instead of a no down problem

if that is the result..... relay is defective if same result (no down) check relay socket

test motor alone by applying and reversing 12v on bue green wires to eleiminate the motor as a possible cause.
see typical 2 wireT&T diagram make certain B+ and Grd supply reaches relay sockets are ok also check B+ from DOWN trim swi

see typical 2 wireT&T diagram make certain B+ and Grd supply reaches relay sockets are ok also check B+ from DOWN trim switch
Thankyou for your help. I revesed the plug and it goes DOWN, so now I will order a new relay unit. Thankyou all for your help. Much Appreciated and God Bless.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
?? which plug reversing plug wires only doesn't tells you why the relays are not doing the job for you in the down mode.

Does it go down with the UP switch ? if so all you have done is use the UP
circuit to power the DOWN relay

at least we know the blue green wiring is OK
what you did by reversing the plug is properly energized the DOWN relay so it works :)

just make certain the DOWN control voltage from the DOWN trim switch leaves the switch and does reach the DOWN relay socket and it clicks
..you may have a bad DOWN trim switch

see abobve !

Last edited:

Robertse

Cadet
?? which plug reversing plug wires only doesn't tells you why the relays are not doing the job for you in the down mode.

Does it go down with the UP switch ? if so all you have done is use the UP
circuit to power the DOWN relay

at least we know the blue green wiring is OK
what you did by reversing the plug is properly energized the DOWN relay so it works :)

just make certain the DOWN control voltage from the DOWN trim switch leaves the switch and does reach the DOWN relay socket and it clicks
..you may have a bad DOWN trim switch

see abobve !
Dear Crosbyman, Thankyou. you said "
just make certain the DOWN control voltage from the DOWN trim switch leaves the switch and does reach the DOWN relay socket and it clicks"
Yes I have tested power 12Volts reaches from the down trime swtich to both incomming relay and outgoing relay. The strange thing, the relay is passing power, on the Down trim swtich. Then when I switch the Green/Blue Cables comming out of the Relay the up trim buttom then bring down the motor. I now have ordered a new relay and see how I go. thanks again. God Bless.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
relay contacs probably burnt and allows some current down wise but won't pass all the amps needed to drive the motor.