power steering pump leak

nasdaqsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have to agree there, it its the fitting. The spring inside the fitting is where pressure is determined. It its like the old style it can be taken apart and spring exchanged.

Just a thought, but have you tried to loosen the hose then tighten the fitting and then retighten the hose?
I have tried everything. There just has to be some kind of defect in the threads in the pump or on the fitting. I do not see any on the fitting so my thought is the pump threads. Once I get it out and on the bench I will know more. The boat being in the water and on a hoist makes this a lot harder but I have it down to a very slow leak so didn't want to pull the boat if I could help it. Now is the time to get all these little things taken care of.

nasdaqsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I took the pump off yesterday. The pump threads themselves all seem fine. One thing to note is at the top of the threads there is a hole drilled to feed another area of the pump I assume. Were they drilled this hole it is right in the top thread and it is razor sharp. But looking at the valve that goes in there it should not even be going that far in. It appears the threads on the valve stop at the top then there is an o-ring another space than another o-ring on top of the valve. The base o-ring when taken apart was sliced right in half. I am just wondering if there is suppose to be some kind of washer or piece missing that is allowing the valve to go to far into the pump. It's hard because there is not a lot of info out there to work with. I am going to change out the hose the end of it looks beat up pretty good, not saying that is the issue but for the price of a hose it's one less thing to worry about. I am not sure how to handle the pump it looks fine and works fine. Sourcing just the valve is proving to be quite the operation. I hate to buy a new pump if all I need is the valve. Anyone have a source for just the valve?

Thanks

nasdaqsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well aint this a kick in the pants. I found some pictures of the new pump we installed when the old when bad. It clearly shows it did not come with the valve we had to use the old one. I have a picture of that also. The guy I got the pump from has been working to try and get me at least the valve that was suppose to come with it. His supplier in turn contacted the people they get them from I assume that is Mercury Marine. They state it doesn't come with the pump. Which is BS. A bunch of other sources say it is the only way to get the valve is with the pump. They can not give any information as to were I can get one, they are not available anywhere they can not even tell me what size o-rings the valve uses. That is a total load of garbage. I paid full retail for this pump and basically have to throw it away and buy another one. It is not even going to do me any good to get the aftermarket unit is we have no way to know the valve isn't the issue to begin with. Now it looks like my only option is going to be to change everything out but valve in hopes that is not the issue. If it then I will need a new pump. I really do not mind putting parts in an engine like this but to do it two three times for no good reason really frosts me.

nasdaqsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so fed up with this I just got off the phone with Mercury Marine direct. They are going to look into it and see if there is anything they can do to assist. This is kind of crazy spending on this when it should have had the valve from the start. I will keep everyone posted as to me progress.

alldodge

Staff member
Dang sure has been a bugger, something has to be documented somewhere. Would be nice if it turns out the valve for the car is the same for the boat

nasdaqsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Update: Contacted Mercury customer service direct. Gave the guy the whole story he said he would look into it. He completely agreed there was no way the pump should have come with out the valve and it's impossible to get one on it's own. He stated he would look into it. Received an email yesterday saying a new pump was on it's way and they would assist with some labor for the install but I am going to do that myself swapping out the pump is really all I needed.

Kudos to Mercury for stepping up and helping with this issue that's customer service at it's finest.

alldodge

Staff member
Way cool, sure glad to hear them stepping up and fixing the issue