power steering pump 89 5.7 auto or boat

delsol

Senior Chief Petty Officer
i am finishing up all my little problem's now with my boat it an 89 5.7 w/alpha w/power steering. i looked at some boat sites for a power steering pump..is this one item thats a car pump???i got a leak in that little line in the back its cracked..i even tryed to slide the hose up over it to stop the leak. i want a new pump . what can i buy and where..napa??
thanks bob

delsol

Re: power steering pump 89 5.7 auto or boat

thanks coors is it a car or boat they look the same i run on freah water???

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just make sure that both fittings for the hoses are the same.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,......

Even though about Every GM car, truck,+ Most Boats use the GM/Saginaw P/S Pump,........

The Line Fittings,+ Mounting positions are Not the Same...............

Btw,...... If it's leaking from the Line,+ Not the Pump,.........

Why on earth would you change the Pump,.?......?....?. Change the Line that's Leaking........

delsol

hi bondo. the factory metal line was abused and has a nice crack in it and it leaks bad. i tryed everything to fix old one. you are right about being different the main thing is where are p/s goes into the pump its different there. i unscrewed the old one and swapped it. but i got a dribble at the end where the stud goes i think its needs a lilttle rubber gasket. i will call them to see. anyone have an exploded view of a gm pump
bob

Coors

Captain

Isn't welded on? Been a long time, but don't remember the pump nipple being bolted in...

delsol

coors not the welded line the stud with the bolt thread. it came from my old one during the swap..they removed the pully fot me and got me a new one as mines was not good.and they swaped the line hole . dont know the correct name and the other bolt on. i got a nice dribble where the bottom one has a 11/16th screw in i think it gets a gasket
bob/p

Coors

Captain

Yeah, I think there is an o-ring there.
Take it back.

delsol

thanks coors fixed this morning . not washer their, went back and got one. no drips anymore
thanks all
bob