Power Steering High Pressure Hose

hal2814

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi there. I have a 1990 4.3L Mercruiser with Alpha One Gen I outdrive. Today I noticed a puddle of what looked like oil under my boat. I traced it to the high pressure power steering hose. It is leaking out where the rubber hose meets the metal fitting not at the pump but at the other end. Is there any way to repair that or am I going to have to get a new hose? Is there any way I can find out the part number without the exact engine serial number? I don't have it handy but can look it up when I get home if need be.

Also, Service Manual 7 isn't super clear on this but if I'm replacing the hose, is it just a matter of removing the old hose, replacing it, and doing the fill and bleed routine?

PitchFork

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Power Steering High Pressure Hose

When I first bought my new to me boat it had no power steering fluid as I had a hole in mine in the same spot. I just cannot remember if it was the high or low pressure side. I repaired by cutting off the fitting and replaced the hose from the power steering fluid cooler and used two stainless clamps and I have not had a problem since 2+ years. You might be able to cut the hydro fitting off and cut the tube and use two clamps. Or better yet see if your local NAPA would repair it because that replacement part is probably $70+.

You might be able to find it here: http://www.perfprotech.com/store/catalog/Mercruiser-Parts-Finder,3172.aspx

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Power Steering High Pressure Hose

Ayuh,.... Pitchfork, that's the Low pressure side...
Do NOT try repairing the Hi-pressure side,.. It needs a fully crimped connection...
or am I going to have to get a new hose? Is there any way I can find out the part number without the exact engine serial number?

As far as I know, there's only been 3 different Hi-pressure lines, ever...
So, it shouldn't be too awful hard matching up what you've got...
I believe it's the middle version,... Not the oldest,+ definitely not the Newest quik-connector type...
And,...
Yes, it's a simple Swap,+ fill situation...