Power steering belt squells when wheel is in certain position.

nikon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
93' 350 mag alpha 1

My power steering belt is tight, pump at proper fluid level. When the steering wheel is in certain positions ~2-3oclock and ~10-11oclock I can hear and smell the power steering pump belt burning, If I move the steering wheel a little more to the right or left it stops squealing. My power steering seems to be working fine otherwise. This also happens at all rpms. Is this an internal problem in my pump or in the steering system? The steering system was recently greased as well.

Any ideas?

nikon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Power steering belt squells when wheel is in certain position.

Anyone?

NHGuy

Captain
Re: Power steering belt squells when wheel is in certain position.

Well the power steering unit is a rack type which pivots a few degrees as the steering arm arcs through it's range. If one theory is right there could be a spot where the rack pivot sticks. Or it might just be a bad spot in the rack. To check whether it's in the rack disconnect the rack from the steering arm and put the steering wheel through the angles where the trouble is. If it still causes the problem you either need to fix the rack or replace it. If there is no problem with the rack unhooked from the arm check for binding in the arm and in the rack pivot.
Before you do that though, clean & lube the rack ram by extending it and removing any built up dried greasy dirt. Also grease all the steering fittings that have grease zerks. Is your belt getting old and glazed? Maybe it's that simple.