Power pack test on CDI ??

Robo97

Seaman Apprentice
Is there a test for a CDI when it is out of an engine by measuring the readings from the 4 pin input plug ?? I bought a new CDI when it turned out the stator was defective. I would now like to check the old CDI without going through all the trouble of reinstalling it in the engine again. Can you check the resistance of the input pins to deterine a faulty unit ??<br />the cdi is an Evinrude 586650..My dealer told me that there isn't an after market unit for this CDI .Is this correct ??

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Power pack test on CDI ??

There's lots of folks here that would like ta help ya out Bob but when you spread your postings out like this, it makes it real difficult. On this post, you gave the OMC part nr, but not the make, model or year of manufacture of the engine. I' m sure it's in another one of your posts somewhere but not this one. I have a NAPA Marine Products which list Sierra after-market parts and it does cross reference some part nrs. but not all. It does however, break down into year and model so with a little more information, I might be able to tell ya if there is an after- market replacement. <br />As far as testing the cdi, the only test I know of is the one in the manual for testing the diodes. You might try just comparing one to the other and look for resistance variations.<br /><br />'luck & c/6<br />Hooty

Robo97

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Hooty:<br />Sorry about spreading my posts out but my main one went several days without getting any more response and was way back in pages where most people don't go more than a page or two<br />I did give the part number which should be enough but here is all the info<br />1997 Evinrude 9.9HP 4 stroke Hi Thrust<br />E10freleu<br />04342831<br />Today I ordered another power pack (PP)for $179.00. I hated to do that but it seems like the shorted coil in the original stator destroyed the new PP that I had just replaced. Having replaced 3 other PP's I wrongfully assumed that having no spark was a sure sign that the PP had blown again.<br /> I tried to get a response about if a shorted stator coil could possibly blow out a PP but haven't had a reply to that request so I ordered a new PP.<br />I was promised 3 to 5 day delivery but with my current luck it could take longer. As I stated in my other thread I had eliminated the kill wire as a possibility and with all the proper voltages present in the stator coils and no output from the PP it would appear that I did indeed blow out the new replacement PP.<br />This has been a very costly experience but I guess I am still ahead of the game ,money wise, if I had taken the motor back to a shop. The last time I took this motor back under warrenty they screwed up reparing a fuel pump. They rebuilt the fuel pump which never ran right until I replaced it with a new pump. At least I am getting an education. With a motor only 7 years old with very little hours on it because I have it on a sailboat, I have had 3 PP's and a rectifier replaced under warrenty, and 2 fuel pumps,one water pump and a stator plus the 4th and 5th PP.<br />I bought this motor new because I was afraid my 13 year old 7.5 2 stroke Evinrude would let me down some day. BTW the needle fell off the tackometer when it was only a couple days old. <br />This is only half the story about this motor but I guess by now if you are still reading this you have heard enough already...<br />Thanks for your help in this matter

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Yo Bob,<br />This is just for future reference. It's from NAPA's Marine Products Catalog. It only shows this powerpack for a 9.9 up to 1984 but if it looks like yours, I'd bet it'll work.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty<br /><br />
site1110.jpg

Robo97

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Hooty:<br />I have already bit the bullet to the tune of $170.00 for a new power pack for my engine. Besides I would be reluctant to spend 60 to 80 bucks with the hope that it might work. There is too much labor involved in replacing the PP on this engine so I want to be sure I have the right part. besides if it didn't work I wouldn't be sure if it was because I had the wrong part or there is some other problem with the engine.<br />Once again thanks for your help.<br />PS<br />The chart you show looks similar to the one on Seiler marine. I think he wanted $169 for the PP