Power pack problem?

dogclinic

Cadet
hope some one can help with this. i've been experiencing a miss on my 1997 j90 spl. I replaced a coil and it went away. Ran good for a day or so, but then the problem came back, got worse, and then the engine quit and won't start. when it was running fast, I heard a clatter that sounded like a ground fault but I couldn't track it down. I suspect a short followed by a power pack failure. Am I on the right track?

dogclinic

Cadet
Re: Power pack problem?

I had to replace the exhaust cover gasket over the winter which meant i had to detach or wrangle a lot of the electrical components on the back of the engine, so I'm more likely to suspect that I caused this, but I can't figure out what I did. Can a bad plug wire set all this in motion?

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Yes. It can blow a powerpack as the charge built up has no where to discharge properly so can blow the pack

dogclinic

Cadet

Also -- and this seems far-fetched -- but when I replaced the exhaust cover I used stainless bolts because some of the originals bolts had corroded. Is stainless a poorer conductor of electricity? The main ground for a number of the engine electric circuits is on the exhaust cover.

orbanp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Stainless steel is good enough conductor, and the bolts are quite a sizable cross section, so this should not make any difference.

Good luck, Peter

dogclinic

Cadet

OK. Thanks.
I guess my other question then is if a plug wire can appear normal at idle but then start arcing as the throttle opens

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Yes, you can run it at night and look for shorts

dogclinic

Cadet

It's been suggested elsewhere that a short wouldn't be audible at speed. Any thoughts?