power pack bench test.

misery

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Can anyone tell me if there is an accurate way to bench test a powerpack with a dvom? i want to know if the ones a guy wants to sell me cheap are any good without actually hooking them up to the motor.

misery

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: power pack bench test.

Sorry Boobie. Its an 86 evinrude 90 hp, model # ce90tlcdc.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I don't know of anyway to bench test that from a laymans point of view. I used to check everything around it, stator, timer base ,kill switch and ect. If they checked good I'd condem the pack. With everything going in and nothing coming out it had to be the pack.

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

there is a way to bench test power packs if you apply domestic AC voltage to it & because the Hall sensor triggers off the Triac [ from the Thyristor family ] that acts as the on off switch every time the [mark or window ] on the fly wheel passes through the sensor wich then triggers off the Triac in the power pack for the capacitor to release the DC volts to that plug for spark , now to find a suitable voltage that the sensor produces low voltage/pulse & then connect it to the 2 wires on the power pack where the sensor connects . with the same voltage/pulse that the sensor puts out connect to those 2 wires this should open Triac & release the AC voltage & come out DC the other end , then place the meter on the wire going to coil & the earth wire on power pack & take the reading .
AS far as i know there is not something like this on the market , so why not build one

durban

if you take a AA Torch battery , which is 1.5 V or less connect the battery to the wire coming from the hall sensor this wire is on the power pack the other end of the battery connect to the earth which is the earth wire for the power pack the 2 wires coming from the stator which feed the the AC power into the power pack connect AC power there from your house supply , what the AA battery does it Closes the circuit in the Triac which then sends the AC volt into power pack to be converted to DC . to test apply a DC meter On the wire coming from power pack going to coil & the other end of meter on the earth wire of power pack , this is how i bench test them .

kodibass

Durban would it be possible for you to set this up & take a photo with wires & such labled & post it? also how it the 70 radiator project coming? photos soon :)

durban

Durban would it be possible for you to set this up & take a photo with wires & such labled & post it? also how it the 70 radiator project coming? photos soon :)

i will set it up tomorrow , the radiator conversion is finished & so is dlrs the whole project is on hold until i get my boat finished or purchase one , cheers :joyous:

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer

The troubleshooting guide I received with my 9.9 HP CDI power pack had a few passive tests. One test was for all of the individual coils (charge, trigger, and both ignition coils), for resistance checks. The other test was for the input diodes of the power pack. The 2 cylinder power pack has 4 diodes.

My dead power pack passed all of the passive tests, even the input diodes tested good. However, a new power pack got my plugs to fire again. My Fluke meter has a built in DVA, and I had good outputs from my trigger and charge coil, but nothing out from the power pack. There are too many discrete components in the power pack that a passive test wouldn't be able to test all of them reliably.

durban

i blew it .....booo .. one of the wires shorted out some where l think blew either a triac , or thyristor , or the MOSFET Transistor one of these iam not sure witch is used in power pack , i have a very good idea, I think that the power coming from the stator which is AC volts goes through a MOSFET TRANSISTOR first , i just have to try & work out the N P N , configure ration , once i get that done i can then put AC power through it , then its just a matter of working out to get the pulse voltage , which is very low , thats why i gonna use a AA battery by using this battery will be the same as having continuous low voltage supply , the magnetic field around the hall sensor supply current to the sensor , the line in the magnate breaks the current every time it passes this crates the pulse & spark ,and if there was no line there will be a constant current going through the spark plug , this is what made me think to use the AA battery any way something to keep me thinking

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Dont know what type of pack your describing but its not a encapsulated pack. Pack do not have triac's they have scr's(their cousins) which is big difference. Also they do not work/trigger off HALL effect. Here is a simple description on way they really work: flywheel hub magnet passes sensor coil in timer base and generates a voltage to the SCR, but SCR only triggers capacitor in pack on the positive voltage signal. The charge coil in stator generates its voltage off outer ring of flywheel and voltage increases as engine runs(flywheel spins faster) and charges internal capacitor. There are blocking diodes,a couple of resistors,rectifier and other items in pack. There is not a good DIY way to bench test a pack.

durban

the power pack iam playing around with is this one from a 90hp 1984 model ive got it out the casing .there are 3 either triac,s or thyristors or SCR,s [witch is part of the thyristor family] or MOSFET Transistor , i know that the power coming from the stator is AC this power then goes through the a mosfet transistor the reason ist,s built to take high power & is has got a faster acting gate wich is either p or n , its either one of these mosfet transistors AN 7504 / AN 7505 , The other 2 control releasing the power when pulse message is received to spark plugs

Attachments

• Photo0685.jpg
    Photo0685.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

raczekp1

Lieutenant

i have a question, how could yo get into this power packs electronic device,
i tryed to split this black cover with hammer and axe, but i quite

durban

cut the plastic of with a small cutting disc neatly then soak the hole thing in acetone i used lacquer thinners for a few days & every day scrape the silicone off , the silicone gets sort of brittle & comes off easy its a long process because when you scrape the brittleness off you have to put it back in the acetone for a few more hours to get it brittle again took me about 3 days & when it comes to the end near all the components tooth pick it off , acetone did the job

you can save dlrs fixing it my way , if there is no spark at all the first thing i look at is the mosfet transistor , because that is the device that sends the current into the pack about 6 dlrs to replace , then buy a little plastic box place it in their after fixing it & silicone it up , as good as new

Attachments

• Photo0682.jpg
    Photo0682.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited: