Power Loss 25 HP Johnson

JohnAB

Seaman Apprentice
Have a 1974 I believe 25 hp Johnson Model 25E74M Serial# C47280 on a 14 foot Springbok aluminum fishing boat. Motor has a 9x10 aluminum prop.<br /><br />Problem is that it seems as sometimes at WOT it does not seem to rev out. When by myself it seems to scoot right along, but if I have someone else with me the motor seems very sluggish with a very low top speed.<br /><br />The cavitation plate on the motor sits about 2 inches below the hull of the boat, should I raise the motor up?<br /><br />Or could it be that the motor is running too rich at high speed and when a heavier load is put on it<br />it loses its power?<br /><br />Thanks for all and any help.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Power Loss 25 HP Johnson

I would definetly raise the motor up until the plate is even with the botttom of the hull. The prop sounds right. If it runs well overall, raising the motor may just help out.

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Power Loss 25 HP Johnson

Get another person in the boat with you and run wot, try leaning out the high speed jet and see if the rpm comes on up if this isn't the problem and setting the motor up dosn't help you may just have to much weight for the size of the motor, look around for a 35 if it won't overpower your boat i don't know how wide your boat is but i would think a 35 would be ok.