Posts that make me nuts

Nobody

Seaman
Re: Posts that make me nuts

This has been mentioned before, but what bugs me is when someone asks a question and then disappears. People go to the trouble of posting an answer and sharing their knowledge and the OP never responds back.

Many people with boats aren't necessarily boat enthusiasts like most of the iboats members are - their boat is merely the vehicle to their true passion be it fishing, skiing, wake boarding etc. When there isn't anything wrong with the boat then there isn't any reason (in their minds) to come around here.

Sadly, I'm guilty of this on other forums but at least I'll post a thanks before I disappear.

Then there are those folks who are just computer / forum shy.

skargo

Banned

This is why I don't like it. I read the first post in the thread without noticing the date. I then read through the next 20 posts about someone's problem so I can get the train of thoughts and then BOOM...last post brings up the new posters new problem! Although maybe similar, it's a complete different issue and I just wasted all that time reading through the old posts!

I find the opposite in my virtual travels, but I notice the date. :p

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Many people with boats aren't necessarily boat enthusiasts like most of the iboats members are - their boat is merely the vehicle to their true passion be it fishing, skiing, wake boarding etc. When there isn't anything wrong with the boat then there isn't any reason (in their minds) to come around here.

Sadly, I'm guilty of this on other forums but at least I'll post a thanks before I disappear.

Then there are those folks who are just computer / forum shy.

Nobody, I am pretty sure your somebody somewhere, even here.
Merry Christmas.:)
rob

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I have no idea what WIMUSKY mean, but then I also don't know where Wisconsin is.

And what is this about post padding?

All I know about Wisconsin is that it is somewhere north of me and I bought a truck there once...:D

Post Padding??? What is it REALLY??? Does it happen often???:confused:

WIMUSKY

Staff member

so yer NOT from New Wales Wisconsin?

Well, you had me looking at the atlas. If there is a New Wales, I give you credit, I couldn't find it. If it's a joke, it flew over my head like a fighter jet(except for the NW thing..)!!

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Well, you had me looking at the atlas. If there is a New Wales, I give you credit, I couldn't find it. If it's a joke, it flew over my head like a fighter jet(except for the NW thing..)!!

No, it was a joke :D

My humor comes dehydrated for easy shipping. You have to add your own water. :)

tkrfxr

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, it was a joke :D

My humor comes dehydrated for easy shipping. You have to add your own water. :)

This is a great board...The humor can be good too, if you can appreciate that you may be laughing at someone else's problems, or mistakes...

(like the guy who had trouble seeing the antifreeze come out, then hooked up the water hose and turned the engine on...the next post said: "You un-winterized, right there...")
:D

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

Another thing is when people ask a question with absolutely no "location" or indication of where they are from. This is especially annoying with fishing questions.

The third thing that bugs me is when someone asks "what is this" whatever it is, and someone gives a wrong answer. Either me or someone else then tactfully posts the correct answer so the poster/asker learns the correct <insert the correct whatever here> and then the poster who gave the incorrect or unclear answer starts explaining why his <incorrect> answer was correct.

I just felt the need to vent. That's what happens up here when the water starts getting hard!

some people have been too scared of ID theft so they don't want you to know where they are from

Wow just wow, maybe the first answer was just trying to help and made an honest mistake, maybe just maybe your "correct" answer is not the only "right" way to skin a cat. Pat yourself for always being the one to have the rght answer. just ribbing you man, read your post slow it comes off as you being the all knowing authority. LOL (I know you got me beat)

I'm just getting as old as some of you I guess. LOL

Most forums "require" you to search for old posts then add your question to the oldies. The berate you if you don't do it that way.

posters who ask and leave, hmmm maybe they're watching your responses and are very appreciative they just don't think to post in and say so. Most of those guys are the ones who have two posts to their name, and both were questions.

ok the guys that say i don't care about that but......

yeah I got nothing for that one. LOL

just thinking out loud guys. No harm intended

mikastorm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess I fit one of those catagories.lol
I haven,t done much on my project so kinda sit back and read.
Even on another forum, fish usa.com, I,ve cut back. Why?
Don,t know, just don,t have much to say I guess.
I,m on everyday and really enjoy reading everyones post.
Don,t have much to gripe about though.
Thanks all , I,ll be back in full force once I start again.
I promise.lol

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

How do you steal someone's ID from their location? :confused:

far as i know you can't but many people are so nervous about any personal info on the net they don't want to give any info at all.
that and some people don't want their neighbors to know it's them that they're arguing with LOL

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Must be talking about me and the Tiger thread...:eek::eek:

Oops, I did it again, upped my post count by one more....:D:D

WHY DO I KEEP FALLING FOR IT!!!!!:confused:

Oh well, on to the next one...:p
Page 462, article 59, section 22, line 12 of the dockside chat rules CLEARLY STATES the penalties for excessive post padding.

*EdC*

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hit and run Cadets! Especially, when the post has cobwebs on it! I realize we all start somewhere, but the lack of courtesy is no excuse..

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Hit and run Cadets! Especially, when the post has cobwebs on it! I realize we all start somewhere, but the lack of courtesy is no excuse..

That rules me out. I think I was a Cadet for about a day. Ask my wife!!:D

captharv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

getting back to the original post:
Things that get my hackles up:
1. " Is my 18' bowrider safe for going to: Bimini/ Catalina/ across the great lakes to Canada/or wherever" Usually by a very new boater...
2. Posts that go off on a tangent. Started out as something good, then went that-a-way which has nothing to do with the original topic.

I was in the CG auxilairy for 20 years and taught boating safety. You can imagine how I feel about #1 above.