Post Install Questions 5.7

Triple502

Seaman
Ok guys, I just did my first install of a new 5.7 long block, mated to Bravo II drive, Thunderbolt V ignition. Got everything together and the motor fired right up. The timing was set and all seems well. The warning buzzer behind the dash sounded for a while then stopped. I topped off the drive oil reservoir and I am hoping that's what the alarm was as it was low. Also, the thermostat seems to be working but it appears it is opening in the 180-185 range. Pretty sure I bought a 165 t-stat (still looking for the box it came in). I noticed a rattle coming from the rear of the motor. The best I could tell was it is a flapper in the exhaust. Anyone else heard of this? While running the motor on the muffs on the hard I also saw that no exhaust is coming from prop. Is this correct on a Bravo II drive, or is there something wrong? Thanks guys.

Bondo

Staff member
I noticed a rattle coming from the rear of the motor. The best I could tell was it is a flapper in the exhaust. Anyone else heard of this? While running the motor on the muffs on the hard I also saw that no exhaust is coming from prop. Is this correct on a Bravo II drive,

Ayuh,... Any time the motor runs, Without water flow, the shutters get burnt up,...

If burnt up bad enough, the bits fall into the exhaust passages, blockin' things up, causin' the flow to divert to the idle relief ports, insteada through the prop,....

Triple502

Seaman
Anyway to get them out and replace without taking the whole Y pipe off? Or is this something I have to live with? I started the port motor also (the one I didn't replace) and noticed no water coming from prop on that one either. But no rattle noise. Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Ya got the drives Off, Right,..??

Sometimes you can fish out the bits from the bottom with the drive off, out through the bellows,...
Other times, possibly from above with the elbow off, 'n outa the way,....