Possible Overkill

cribber

Lieutenant
Okay just to let ya know where I started.

I had a stock Penta 14.3x21 that I buried in the lake bottom more times than I should. I worked all the dings, nicks, and scratches and had a prop that would do 44 MPH (gps'd) at 4700 RPM on my 3.0l Volvo with 1.94 gears (yeah I was over revving my max of 4600). These numbers are with about 15 gallons of fuel, myself and the Mrs with gear for two. Not sure of weight but definitely we run on the light side for this setup, max of pushing 2800 lbs total since the boat weighs 2300 lbs dry per Glastron and me and the wife total up around 300 including the cooler.

Thrashed that prop on a cypress knee so replaced it with a stock OEM Penta prop, again 14.3x21 and kept everything the same. Could never get over 41 and it just felt sluggish. Seen a deal here on Iboats for a Stiletto Bay II 14.25x20 4 blade SS that I just couldn't pass up. It looks sooo good hanging off the back of my lower unit. Just don't know how it will perform on the water tomorrow so we'll see and looking for feedback.

Current numbers again are: 4600RPM, 41.3 MPH trimmed out and a plane time of about 4.5 seconds running 1.94 gears on my Volvo 3.0l/135hp w/Penta SX-A drive and about 2800 lbs total weight.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Possible Overkill

I didn't see what type and size boat you have?
I wonder if someone took a little of the pitch out of the old prop?
Any time you change materials you throw more unknowns into the equation.
But speaking generically a 4 blade usually improves low end performance at the slight sacrifice of top end.But being a more high tech prop you might get an overall improve ment compared to the other.Just based on the 4 bladeI would expect a quicker hole shot, parhaps stay on plane at less power .
Of course the pitch and material change adds some variables.The prop
experts may be able to be more specific as they understand the
Stelleto design specifics.

cribber

Lieutenant
Re: Possible Overkill

Could have sworn added my boat info... oh well.

2008 Glastron GT185 bowrider with the Volvo Penta 3.0l I/O Heading out to Lake Harris in a few so we'll see what happens. The Stiletto deal was just too good to pass up and if it doesn't work out I can likely sell it for cost. Iboats had a sweet deal going on last weekend with 40% off plus an additional $30 and no shipping charges.

I have the OEM prop boxed up in the back of the boat as a spare. I'm looking for a little increase in holeshot and a lower planing speed so swapping the stock 14.3x21 Al 3 blade for the Bay II 14.25x20 SS 4 blade should just about get me there... I hope!!!