Possible fuel system issue on Mastercraft I'm looking at buying.

hal2814

Petty Officer 3rd Class
There's a seller letting go of a 91 Mastercraft pretty cheaply that has what he claims to be a fuel system issue. According to claims, it was running roughly so he had the carb rebuilt. After that rebuild, the boat will turn over but not run for any length of time. He has foolishly sprayed starter spray into the carb and it will run for a short period of time. I don't know if he's telling the truth or not but what I do know is that the boat is a good enough price that tracing down a fuel issue (or even getting a new carb) is well worth it but replacing an engine is not. Is there any way I can rule out problems with the engine itself in a timely enough manner to do it in the seller's driveway? I'm thinking compression test is a must but does that completely cover the engine as a culprit?

The engine is a 351 Indmar that came with the boat in 91. It has approx 1000 hrs on it. I'm rather short on other specs. Is there a factory manual somewhere online for the engine? Coming from an I/O and outboard background, I'm not terribly familiar with Indmar or the Ford blocks in general.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Possible fuel system issue on Mastercraft I'm looking at buying.

There's a seller letting go of a 91 Mastercraft pretty cheaply that has what he claims to be a fuel system issue. According to claims, it was running roughly so he had the carb rebuilt. After that rebuild, the boat will turn over but not run for any length of time. He has foolishly sprayed starter spray into the carb and it will run for a short period of time. I don't know if he's telling the truth or not but what I do know is that the boat is a good enough price that tracing down a fuel issue (or even getting a new carb) is well worth it but replacing an engine is not. Is there any way I can rule out problems with the engine itself in a timely enough manner to do it in the seller's driveway? I'm thinking compression test is a must but does that completely cover the engine as a culprit?

The engine is a 351 Indmar that came with the boat in 91. It has approx 1000 hrs on it. I'm rather short on other specs. Is there a factory manual somewhere online for the engine? Coming from an I/O and outboard background, I'm not terribly familiar with Indmar or the Ford blocks in general.
Well, it would not be the first time for a bad carb rebuild....;)
Pour some fuel directly into the carb & see what that does.....
If it will run, check the compression....
If the compression is good, then you should be able to solve the issue without spending a fortune.....
The 351 is a good engine.....
Is the Indimar a electronic or points type IGN system..?.....
The fact that it will run says the timing is close.....:)