Position of motor while trailering?

jadssh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello all, I was just reading my owners manual on my new 2011 Yamaha 115 4 stroke. With the motor trimmed all the way up, it has a support lever for what I thought was for trailering to and from the ramp. It states in the owners manual to not use the support lever while trailering the boat, but instead put it in the down position and use a transom saver.

i don't understand why Yamaha built a support lever if they don't want you to use it while trailering your boat. What do all you Yamaha owners do when you trailer your boat to the ramp and back. Engine locked or unlocked. Thanks. John

Just found other threads discussing this, so got my question answered. Sorry guy's/Gal's.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Position of motor while trailering?

Glad you have a answer already.
I have enough clearance to keep mine all the way down while trailering.

The lock is just to lock motor in the up position while working on it not trailerling according to Yamaha, but I have seen some people use it for trailerling

Handyman1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I changed i couple they break ease if you hit a bump or a pothole it is safer to use a transom saver.

chriscraft254

Commander

I used the the lever for years without a problem, with my outdrive now, I simply tilt the motor up and tie a line from port stern cleat to outdrive then to starboard stern cleat. keeps it from slamming down when hitting road bumps/potholes.